Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set on planer boards and have never used them. I have heard of a couple different types of release clips. I was wondering what everyone is using. Cheap but effective

·
Registered
864 Posts
I use rubber bands, looped around the fishing line after you set it at the correct distance. The rubber band is then looped onto a shower curtain ring (metal or plastic work) that is attached to the planer board line. Size of the rubber band depends on the lure and sea conditions. Cheap but effective.
John

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
No matter what you use-some will pop too easy-others won't pop at all.#64 and #32 rubber bands are the cheap/easy way.For heavy rigs (umbrellas) and big fish-use the #64s.Smaller/lighter lures require a #32.I like to loop the rubber band twice-this seems to hold better.I use braid on the reels for planers-cuts the rubber band better.If you had bought the boards from me-you would get free demo and instructions:D :D . Skip

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
try Scotties,,, or maybe its scotty/ Take a caribiner clip, crimp a loop in one end of about 200 # mono. put that on the caribiner clip. do the same for the scotty clip end. I fished with one captain and he used the scotty clips...after that day I was sold.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Scotty's best way to go
Shower curtain rings an bands work well, once you try the clips you'll be hooked
Loud snap and it's "fish on"!
Replace the ring with a stainless one, and attach a carabiner. Slides down the line well and no worries about bands breaking when it's a little bumpy out
Little pricey but worth the cash

·
Registered
883 Posts
If your using braid, make sure you twist aloop in your line where you attach your rubber band. I learned that on this board. It took me an hour to remember that after switching to braid & trying to get my lines out.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Tyler's tackle will have them at Tri-state flea market on Feb. 10th.If you are fishing all day-figure to carry at least 25 clips.Some guys run a retriever line out first to bring used clips back.If you get 5-6 fish on the inside lines you can reel the outer line back up slowly and get some back that way also.FYI-check the lures on the boards for jellyfish/trash often if you aren't getting strikes.Very easy to forget the lures need to be kept clean.Boards are easy to use and the learning curve is sharp.1-2 trips and you'll be a pro. Good luck. Skip

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
where can I pick up these Scotty's and if I am planning to run 3 lines off each board how many do you think I should have on the boat.
It all depends on how good you are at finding the fish:D
I typically run 3-4 rods off each board and have 25 clips rigged up. Some days I use very few and other times I've had to pull a board to retrieve some to continue. I still keep rubberbands and clips on board if things get too out of hand.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got Scotty clips with carabiners already attached when I got my boards from Petey. But I also keep a bag of rubber bands and shower curtains rings just in case i don't have enough clips. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fishontackle also have very good planner boards. Made from composite material. They run a little deeper than wood boards and pull tight even during rough conditions. I have pulled 6 large umbrella's off each board without a problem.

Tu

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very, very true. We may be putting the planer boards away this year if things go as planned. I know a lot of guys that ALL their spring fish were off planers. I would not be suprised to see then carry the same penalties as having more than two hooks per line. Let's hope not !!!!:( :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts