Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close!
I am going to run 13 rods this year (5 on each board and 3 boat rods) and have made it a point to buy all the same weights parachutes. I slowly have transitioned to all 3oz & 5oz parachutes. My thoughts are that it is easy to know exactly what i am putting out every time and elimnates the guess work of "what sizes are these things?"
I realize these are on the lighter side, but my thought was i could make up for it with inline weights and letting more line out.

I will be running the board rods as singles (Prob the 5oz), tandems (8oz totals), and small 4 arm umbrellas (umbrella weighs 2oz plus a 3oz parachute) with twister tails for less drag.

What would be a good starting point for these lines on the planers? I'm thinking the normal 110,100,90,80,70.. will be too shallow for these lighter lures.

As always, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My feeling is run them all at the same length and add weight to vary depths. In order to get a lure 5 feet deeper you usually have to double the line length. Not practical for me. You also have to add a lot of weight to drop them down too. Using same lures makes sense. Find out where the fish are and adjust. I just do not get the incremental board lengths at all. That little bit of lenght change translates to a foot overall. Also consider using braid if you want depth but spring fish are usually closer to top water. Just my opinion.John

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm also in favor of running board lines all the same lenght. Adopted a scaled down version of charter captain spread 2 seasons ago. We pull all umbrellas 12" 6 arm on the boards (just changed over to 6" twister tails today) with chutes ranging from 2-10 OZ. All board lines are set at 40' port and 50' starboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I usually run 20 rods on my boat and I've never put all the board lines at the same distance. I start with 20 bars on the outside and move down 2 bars for every rod. 9 times out of 10, first rod to hit is that furthest rod at 20. But then again every day is different on the Bay. Sometimes you just gotta see where the fish are and put your baits in front of her.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help, guys. I guess i need to find that depth chart for a general idea of where to start with these lighter lures. I realize that they're a moving target and its going to take some tinkering to figure out. Was just looking for a general line setting to start with a light weight spread.

·
Registered
885 Posts
They won't be too light. Fish them as you normally would, anywhere from 50'-120' behind the board will work. Maybe start out going shorter off one board (50'-80') and longer off the other board (80'-110') and adjust if the fish show preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts