Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Best if the mainline doesn't touch the water.This distance will vary boat to boat.The higher you can attach the mainline the longer it can be.My hardtop is 9' off the water.We run 140' when calm/not crowded and 100' when rough or crowded.Most small boats use 50-75' of line.Make sure the attachment point is very strong-a cleat or hardtop/T top support is good.My boards pull hard enough that they can work a railing loose.Leave about 10' between clips on the mainline and you'll be fine. Skip

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Shawn-there were rumors about DNR outlawing the boards or setting a limit to the amout of line.Main reason was safety.Some guys are pulling boards way out (300') each side with no flags on them.I'm all for a 100'-150' limit.99% of the guys use common sense with boards but it's that 1% that screws it up.

At the end of Va. season in the bay about 200 boats were working fish near #62.Everyone was bunched up in a 1 mile by 1/2 mile area.Everyone was pulling heavy rigs on short lines-combat fishing -we call it:pp .Needless to say-1 YoYo was pulling boards right through the fleet-what a mess.He quickly left the fleet-not sure how many rigs he lost. Skip

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Newbie with a stupid question....

I've seen Skip's planer's in action...they work. Not sure on distances. Are you are talking 100' each side or 100' total (50' per side)? If I can ever get some regular fishin' buddies to come along, I will order a set from Skip. I usually fish alone.

Jim:confused:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I guess it depends on how many rods you want to run off of each side. Mine thee times the width of my house. . .I got my weed wacker spool and tied to to a gutter, went around the other gutter and back. It seems to work for me :)

I run four or five off of each side, depending on how frisky I am feeling.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a question on planer boards. How far out the side (distance from boat) do they go?
Don

Its Ed from up on Lavington...we run them 60' off each side above the Bay Bridge, mainly because it can get crowded and they don't make abrupt turns well and secondly because 60' is enough to put 3 lines out on each and space them.

Since we usually troll the Swan Point or Craighill Channels, there isn't enough deep water to need longer lines like they use further south.

I thought you hated trolling?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I run planers in the spring...My boat is small and I only run 2 lines off of each planer. I keep my planer lines short at 35 ft. and it's plenty of room and a good spread. I have seen some boats with them way to far out.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Guys I work for a supermarket...Meat Mgr..very busy store and alot of the guys that shop there talk about fishing...1 of the guys that shops there works for DNR....word has it that DNR is gonna set the max length at 75 yards for planers and a limit of 2 rods per planer...flags will be mandatory also....just what I was told...:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I know alot of recs are running planer boards. Its lawful and catches fish. But I'm still of the mind that small boat recreational fisherman don't need to be using them. If ya run a decent spread, ya should be able to catch plenty of fish to keep 3-4 friends happy, especially in the spring. And its alot less work:devil2: ---------------

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Who's Liable ??

Regardless of who may be legally "liable" one thing is for sure there's gonna be a pissin match when somebody's lines get cut. Personally I don't use planner boards because for the most part they are one big pain in the a$$ and fishing should be fun, I got enough to worry about trying to avoid the guys pulling boards you can't see. I'm lucky I've got a big boat and can fish 8-10 lines without boards if I couldn't do that I might give em some thought. Best advice I can offer; if your pulling boards stay as far away from the crowd as possible.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
My boat is small and I pull up to a doz lines. what do i need boards for?:rockon:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am all for safety. I agree that most who pull boards have enough common sense to use them. I have flags and my boards are rubbercoated bright orange. I keep multiple leads on the boat from 100' down to 75' to adjust for the conditions. We'll all have to sit back and wait for the man to rule.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the large 3 board Petey Boards and pull 150 ft on each side without a problem. At times I have 5 to 6 lines on each. You just have to know when you can use and when you can not. Most boaters are use to seeing them in the Potomac river and give each other room.

Tu

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I have seen some of the charters out of Ches Beach way out probably 200 ft....Loosen up...I've head he runs 25 lines?......I know he has 2 mates....one for each side....beautiful boat though......:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts