Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used the "Otter Boats" planer boards by Big John?? They look like they would be efficient planer boards, and the marketing speak says they pull better, with less drag than typical 2 or 3 board planers... Does anyone have any experience using these?? Also, the company that makes the otter boats also makes some Planer Reels that look neat... Does anyone have any experience with these?? Looks like you could mount them to the T-Top, as a great way to get the boards in/out... Are the drags strong enuff to hold traditional 2 board planers, or just their 'otter boat' ones... Any knowledge from experienced "Planer Board" fisherman would be great, as I would like to start using them to increase my trolling spread!! I certainly dont work for Big John, just came across their site on the web - i think they deal mostly with Lake fisherman. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
You want to use triple boards for the bay.Our lures have alot of drag and we are after bigger fish.I make a good set-we tried 3-4 differant designs until we found this one.Those otter boards will be OK for summer time or in the rivers but for the bay you want a well made set.Some guys do OK with doubles but the serious trollers go with the triples. Skip

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also agree with the triple boards. If you are going to pull umbrellas and large tandems than you want boards that will do the job. I have tried and tested several designs throught the years until I finally settled in. I have an extra set I could sell or I could email you pics with the measurements so you can make your own. They are not too difficult, just require some time. I usually run 5-6 lines off each side with no problem.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
What exactly are you trying to say Blue Lou ?:D Just wait until you see my solar powered set-I used 3 old canoes and some trolling motors to make them.They pull OK but once the line gets out 1/4 mile it's hard to make a turn.:D :D Skip

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
That's all you can get them out? Your boards must not be that good....:cool2: :cool2: :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Board!

I can see know that im gonna get myself in all kinda trouble this spring. so if you see me (yeller boat) runnin over them boards by mistake please dont take it personal. Id just like to take this time to apoligize in advance for any harm i may cause.
Bill

·
Registered
826 Posts
big john planer board reels work fine with the big boards but you can NOT use weed wacker line on them. The ww line stretches when you use it then when you wind it onto the reels it compresses the reels and shatters the spools after a season, use 200 lb braided planer board line without a problem and change ever other season. I have custom made mounts on my hard top.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
What exactly are you trying to say Blue Lou ?:D Just wait until you see my solar powered set-I used 3 old canoes and some trolling motors to make them.They pull OK but once the line gets out 1/4 mile it's hard to make a turn.:D :D Skip
The voices keep telling me to do horrible things to the boards with a fork, and it keeps getting harder to ignore them all the time. Number 9...., Number 9,...., Number 9.......
Does anyone know how to play a CD backwards.:eek2:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Skip why not use the solar powered canoes from shore. Circle them out from shore and when a fish hits then you retrieve. Maybe even add auto-pilot to the canoes?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The voices keep telling me to do horrible things to the boards with a fork, and it keeps getting harder to ignore them all the time. Number 9...., Number 9,...., Number 9.......
Does anyone know how to play a CD backwards.:eek2:
Insert the CD, printed side down, it's gotta play it backwards, cause ur reading it from the other side...................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Has anyone ever used the "Otter Boats" planer boards by Big John?? They look like they would be efficient planer boards, and the marketing speak says they pull better, with less drag than typical 2 or 3 board planers... Does anyone have any experience using these?? Also, the company that makes the otter boats also makes some Planer Reels that look neat... Does anyone have any experience with these?? Looks like you could mount them to the T-Top, as a great way to get the boards in/out... Are the drags strong enuff to hold traditional 2 board planers, or just their 'otter boat' ones... Any knowledge from experienced "Planer Board" fisherman would be great, as I would like to start using them to increase my trolling spread!! I certainly dont work for Big John, just came across their site on the web - i think they deal mostly with Lake fisherman. Thanks.
We dumped the plywood monsters 3 years ago for Otter Boats, we will never go back.

They work better, store easier, and are simply better in every respect.

But then some folks still troll with mono or wire - - -

Best Wishes
BB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts