Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Welcome to the board. Send a PM to 27Sailfish and buy a pair of his boards. You will spend close to what he charges on materials and his boards are great.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
making them is simple if you are a little handy and have some tools...

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Ideas/Planer_boards/planner_boards-plans.pdf

otherwise, pmail 27sailfish, I bought my first set from him last year and they were good..
Are you saying you are handy mark??:D

I'll be honest. I tried making a set without doing my homework on it. I went fishing to test them out and they worked but not really. I had to redo them twice in order to get it right. In the end, I could have bought skips and been done with it. My company paid for the materials so it really didnt matter to me but for someone just throwing a pair together that had to pay for the materials it would make sense just to buy skips right off the bat. He uses better materials that what you can buy at Home Depot anyway.

Mark, are you splashing your boat? I thought Tim said something about fishing with you today

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
One of the best woods to use is yellow pine.It holds up well around the water and is not too expensive.If you got deep pockets - cedar or even teak are better but way too expensive for most guys.

Use SS hardware and you'll have a good set that will last a long time.

Most boards are made from 1x10 or 1x12.Triples pull better then doubles.

I make up boards during winter/spring - if you need a set, let me know.

Be sure to paint them BRIGHT orange and put orange bike flags on them.

Good idea to also put your cell phone number on them - in case you lose one.Each season a few are lost - at least a cell number will give you a chance to get it back.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Mark's boards are made of rich Mahogany. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I made mine from the plans at Down Time Charter that Baldzilla posted. Those plans are originally from Skip/Sailfish27,a nd they are really easy to follow. My cost for supplies from Home Depot totaled more than Skip sells them for, and he uses better wood. It was easy and fun to make, but unless you really like to build simple wood projects and use things you build, I'd buy Skips.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Another vote for Skip's boards or at least use his plans to build em. Many of us here have them and they work great. Skip did alot of research before making them for others to make sure he had it right and he pretty much nailed it. Cost wise your going to be pretty close if you buy the same quality material Skip uses. Good Luck,

Sam

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Are you saying you are handy mark??:D

I'll be honest. I tried making a set without doing my homework on it. I went fishing to test them out and they worked but not really. I had to redo them twice in order to get it right. In the end, I could have bought skips and been done with it. My company paid for the materials so it really didnt matter to me but for someone just throwing a pair together that had to pay for the materials it would make sense just to buy skips right off the bat. He uses better materials that what you can buy at Home Depot anyway.

Mark, are you splashing your boat? I thought Tim said something about fishing with you today
Dave, I am by no means handy, and I was able to make 4 sets for buddies...they got better every time I made them. I will say I am glad I bought skips first and gave my first set I made away!!!:yes: it isnt hard at all though..

yes, we are fishing, boat is always in the water year round...

PS I can always count on you Martin and Rose...always...next time we are offshore you guys are swimming!

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Be leery of the ones that fold.Some of them do not pull well or flip over easy.

Three board fixed ones take up some room but once they are over - your cockpit is clear.

We stand ours up to save some cockpit space.Others put them on the swim deck or even on the hardtop.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I saw a guy pulling the folding type in November and they would jump 3 feet in the air, then go slack, then jump again, then go slack, and so on. This was on one of the calmest days that I've ever seen on the bay!

I bought mine from Petey at Fish On! Tackle at the Solomons MSSA show last Spring and they've run really well--except when I get the weedwacker line wrapped in the prop when pulling them in. :eek:

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
There is a lot that goes into designing a decent set of boards.My first set was a real mess and I took a cordless drill on the boat to make adjustments to the pulling eye.After two design changes - the boards finally pulled right.

First design swam like a snake :D - they would pull in-then out.There are a lot of different designs out there.

Ex TFer Evil Dic even has a set that is "backwards" to most but they seem to pull well for him.

Some designs will pull fast ahead- then stall- then pull fast again.These often throw a lot of water as well.The eye placement is very important.Get it wrong and your boards do not pull well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is a lot that goes into designing a decent set of boards.My first set was a real mess and I took a cordless drill on the boat to make adjustments to the pulling eye.After two design changes - the boards finally pulled right.

First design swam like a snake :D - they would pull in-then out.There are a lot of different designs out there.

Ex TFer Evil Dic even has a set that is "backwards" to most but they seem to pull well for him.

Some designs will pull fast ahead- then stall- then pull fast again.These often throw a lot of water as well.The eye placement is very important.Get it wrong and your boards do not pull well.
I think Evil Dic's boards ran so straight because of all the $1.00 scotty clips he used.!

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Evil Dic (Barry) is OK in my book.Some of his ideas were out there but the guy can really catch fish :yes:.

The $1.00 clips was an honest mistake. He saw them on E-Bay and the opening bid was $1.00 - he thought that was the selling price.

He was nice enough to alert all the TFers - but then got busted on for it.He was only trying to help everyone save some money on what looked to be a great deal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Im just kidding and couldn't resist...that remains one of the funner threads I've seen. Skip, I've still got the set of plans you sent me and plan to make a set over the winter...can't wait to try them out....I switched from outboards to inboard diesel this fall and I think the time has come to jump in the planer board pool. I take it you've found yellow pine has a good weight for your plans...have you made any with good quality plywood, which would seem less likely to warp...even though they will be sealed?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts