Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much pressure will the quick release clamps take? Like is a #1 planer have to much pressure to use on a quick release clamp. It's all new to me but I built a set of planer Boards and want to get started on the right foot.
Keith

·
Registered
885 Posts
Traditionally, Diving planers are fished off boat rods, while planer board rods have lightly weighted baits that track fairly straight (bucktails, parachutes, storm swim baits, etc) with some in-line weight added (2-8 oz.) if desired. I don't think I've ever come across someone fishing diving planers off planer boards.
That being said, the planer board tow line release clips typically have adjustable tension and perhaps could be adjusted tight enough to hold on to a #1 planer if you really want to give it a shot. A lot of people use rubber bands instead of release clips and since there are many different sized rubber bands you can experiment with different tensions. Heck, a #64 rubber band would probably hold a #2 diving planer if you wanted to try that. With either approach (release clip or rubber band), one of my concerns would be that upon strike most summer Bay fish won't exert much more force on the release mechanism than the diving planer was exerting and therefore won't break the fishing line free from the tow line. This situation is manageable if you only have one or two rods off the planer board, but more than that becomes quite a hassle. Good luck!

·
Registered
514 Posts
planer boards

Thanks a lot for your comments. That should help me out a ton.
typically planer boards are very useful when the fish are high n the water column and work extremely well on the large migratory fish when they arrive in late November and December. I have never heard of anyone using a down planer on a planer board-kinda defeats the purpose.
In the Rap and Potomac rivers where they empty into the bay we typically use down planers #1, #2 in late July and August for bluefish and spanish mackerel. Run your #1's from 75 to 125 feet and the #2's from 25 to 35 feet and you will catch an abundance of these species. Call me on 804-435-9785 for on- board help.

·
Registered
885 Posts
That is a very generous offer from a friendly and skilled local guide/charter captain above (Bob Reed). Take him up on the offer for one on one advice, it will lessen the learning curve significantly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts