Tidal Fish Forum banner

Planer line knot?

Question 
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  catman 
#1 ·
Going to replace my planer cords this winter (.095 Weed-Eater line)
Was wondering, what is the best knot or crimp to secure the line to the snap clips?
Ours has held so far but the knot has almost pulled through on us once:eek:
Thanx

#2 ·
I use big crimps (600 #). I put two on the line for extra safety. I pinch them with a hammer and flathead screwdriver. Also if you're going to replace the line itself, look for ROUND weedeater line, it helps the caribeaner clip slide just a little easier down to the boards. 5th (Marty)

#3 ·
I use cable crimps I got at Home Depot (near where they sell hooks and cable); mashed down with a hammer.

#4 ·
Thanks, I did get the round line this time
HD had 140 ft spools on clearance for $2.50 each
I should have looked around there for crimps but was in a rush to get home to watch the Ravens game

#5 ·
The first year I used a Palomar knot.It held but I never liked the way it would not seat all the way tight.
I found copper crimps used for electrical work at Lowes.A 50 pack is about $4.00 and they are easy to crimp with an electrical hand tool crimper.

I like to loop the .095 weedwacker cord through twice - this gives the crimp more to bite onto.

I found tiny SS thimbles that help avoid the line chafing but they are not neccesary.Keep an eye on the loop and if it looks chafed - it is easy to recrimp it.

One thing I do is to tie an 18 inch piece of 3/8 '' rope in a loop off my hardtop.This gives the clip something to ride on.It is not good to clip the weedwacker line to itself - it can chafe.

#6 ·
Thanks, Skip
We installed two stainless eye bolts to the T-top last year which makes it easy to clip onto
I was always leary of the knots, like you said - they never got tight enough that I felt 100% about them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.