Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to run a planer rig for the past three years and have yet to catch anything on it.

It consists of a planer about 3 inches wide and five inches long.
I run a 15 foot dock line from a cleat and it is connected to about 45 feet of 300 pound mono.

The planer is connected to the end of the mono .

I first let out my lure about 100-150 feet back and then I take the main line and connect it to the planer by way of either a rubber band or a release clip.

Once the rig is set up I drop the planer in and set it.

I figure with 45 foot of line the rig runs about 10-15 feet below the surface.

Thoughts or corrections?

My lure is usally a wahoo wacker or am ilander with ballyhoo.

Help! I want wahoo or anything!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Not sure why it would not work...but for day in/day out catching, I like a 3 1/2 drone on the planer rig. I use a wire planer rod with a #8 planer and we've caught Wahoo, Mahi and Yellowfins on this rig...and some very, very nice Bluefins as well but we some times use a bigger spoon.

We run anywhere from 40-60ft of leader usually.

Glenn

·
Registered
534 Posts
What Glenn P said--- ain't nothing that won't hit a Drone Spoon. Maybe try a little smaller ballyhoo rig as well-- witch or tracker size. try the next size bigger planer.--- at 10-15' planer depth and 100 - 150' of line behind that, your rigs will ride up some and may only be a couple feet under the surface back there.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I agree a drone spoon is very productive, especially in solid pink or orange.

Your balleyhoo bait may possibly be spinning, which will deter a bite, be sure it's swimming upright and straight.

When I pull meat on mine I like a small eye catcher mylar sea witch, trust me it will wack the wahoos. Be sure you have a little wire on the leader. Wahoos have razor sharp teeth and will easily bite through any mono.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Is it just there no takers or is it fouling ??

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just no takers.
Generally, I run a wahoo wacker 75% of the time as I hate being unable to see my baits in the water.

I never ran a drone spoon from the planer as I didn't think tunas would target it.

I guess the saying" Do something different when nothing else works" applies to this huh?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Tunas will definitely eat the spoon. Many of the nicer class 70-100+ pound bluefins we've caught in the past 5 years or so came off the spoon (thanks Chad) and last year I caught a couple Yellowfins on the drone (chrome/red...but chrome/pink is usually the one I start with)...second the solid oranges or pinks too. Have seen them work and a year ago we went out on the Pointrunner (known Wahoo slayers) and the spoon they like is a solid color orange or pink.

We tried the seperate planer line and really did not like that set up. I much prefer using a planer rod day in day out especially with the ability to unsnap the planer and crank the long leader right onto the reel. If the bigger bluefins are around, we'll attach the bait to another line and run it down the planer rod line so as not to have to fight a big fish on a short planer rod. Planer line is set at a 45 degree angle (rod tip to the water)...any more than that and all you are getting is blowback and the planer is actually going to run more shallow than deep.

Good luck

Glenn

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would make very sure your bait is not spinning.

I would get rid of the dock line all together and just use power pro or big mono. When you do this you can attach your main line to the planer line with a shower ring or a swivel with a rubber band. This will make the bait slide all the way down and you will also be able to see if it is swimming right just behind the boat down about 10 ft. Also when a fish strikes it may not break the planer so you never have to pull it up until you are done for the day. On a whole other note by running your planer the way mentioned above I beleive you will be within IGFA rules for tournaments.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah man! The spoon especially works well in blended or dirty water. Have a collection of crushed/bent spoons from the days on my fathers boat. Only downside, the spoons do have a tendancy to pull out of the fish mouth at times. I think they can use the leverage of it to work free or tear out of the jaw. The best thing is, you dont have worry if your dragging a chopped in half hoo down there. :bigfish:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
I have to agree on the 3 1/2 Drone w/a # 3 planer on Rod and reel got whacked and got me my first Hoo last year.W/green prism tape worked well got a few Tunas also. The DEEP planer # 16 Old Salty still hasn't struck paydirt but I ain't giving up on that yet just need to find the right conditions.Good luck it will happen when you least expect it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
We Use A Planer About The Size You Are Talking About Straight Off The Rod In A Bridle Rig System So You Can Disconnect It And Reel The Leader Straight On. Sportfisherman.com Has Some Videos On How To Do This. As For What We Pull. I Like The All Crome Or Crome/red Or Chrom/blue Drone Spoon. Most Productive Lure This Year Was Red/white Seawitch, Pink/white Seawitch Or Eyecatcher Predator Pink/white. With Samll Hoo Behind. We Run This Rig Off A 6/0 Senator With 200yrds Of 80# Powerpro. I Start Out Close To The Surface And Keep The Drag So That Line Creeps Out And Eventually Gets Lower. 30-70 Foot Leader With A 250-300# Spro Heavy Duty Swivel To Avoid Twist On The Drone.
Casey

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm Cool!
57 Posts
When setting up your planer reel w line do you use a mono backing before you put your braided line on? If so what knot do you use for the connection? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
yes, just got a new tiagra 80 for the rod hopefully can run 16+ planer then you can run two off a center console. no problem. spoon i s a good bait for everything but dont forget the red/black purple/black islander when tagreting the hoo's.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You ended up with some good resposes....I'm a newbie to the OS thing and am piggy backing and picking up some pointers here...thanks for posting

As Raymond mentioned the dock line sounded a bit heavy...

In the bay I've used 200# power pro both cleated and as a top shot on a 114h. I think we drug it offshore last year with no avail once on the 114

A charter Hatteras we go on pulled one for both days last year..a shovel on an 80

Planers on the rod they sure are on heck of a stress test on the holder, drag, and rod at 2 knots and 8..especailly the old salty shovels

When you troll one on the rod with the planer in line how far back should the leader go ??

From mono to braid I used a special albright....I hope thats right....it's only been tested a couple of times on nothing serious...

Maybe you'll get some more responses I can learn from !!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dock line is connected to the 300 mono. The reason for this is that it is easier on the hands when tripping the planer. It only runs a few feet in the water and can be adjusted to any length.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would make very sure your bait is not spinning.

I would get rid of the dock line all together and just use power pro or big mono. When you do this you can attach your main line to the planer line with a shower ring or a swivel with a rubber band. This will make the bait slide all the way down and you will also be able to see if it is swimming right just behind the boat down about 10 ft. Also when a fish strikes it may not break the planer so you never have to pull it up until you are done for the day. On a whole other note by running your planer the way mentioned above I beleive you will be within IGFA rules for tournaments.
Raymond,

When you leave the separate line to the planer in the water after a hookup, have you often had problems with tangling with the line to the fish? Thanks.

Bill
Miss Ginya

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah Bill it happens. You also have to be carefull not to run over it with the boat.

I have used this type of set up a few times in tournys where we were wahoo fishing and it was the only way to comply with IGFA rules. I think for day in and day out fishing I would go with a downrigger or a planer rod.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
On our boat we use and inline planer rather than the bridle or the cleat system. The bridle works great but i haven't had all that great luck with spro swivels and the cleat system just would end up pissing me off as the day went on and I couldn't see where the line was tracking from my helm. The way we rig ours is a little diffrent. I have ay BAP (Big Ass Planer) on a 50TW on a bent butt (but have had on a strait rod) connected by a 350lb BLACK snap swivel (smaller tend to straighten out after a while) and connected to the bait end of the planer is around 50-70 ft of leader usally 130-150 and the rig that gets snapped to that is either a Black and red Islander with a ballyhoo on 2ft of 146 lb wire that is connected to a swivel and leader. or a spoon depends on conditions. That rig up there has worked for everything Dolphin, Bluefin, yellowfin, and wahoo. Justn watch it when your wiring it can get fun

Capt. Mike

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use cleat method on my cc and run 60 ft line conected to #8HS - #24 and somtime run a 24 on one side and 8 on the other. Use rubber band & snap swivel comb to connect rod/lure. Caught YFT & BFT on 3.5 in drones, seawitch/hoo and even caught a sailfish on a black/plum islander out of Morehead. I don't pull the planer while we fight fish just work around it. Guess we've been lucky but have not lost a fish due to tangles in the planer line.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts