Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Skip,

I was just wondering where you attach your tow line for your boards? A picture would be helpful.

I have a 25ft Grady similar to yours and I currently attach the line on the aluminum piping that supports the hardtop at the highest point and close to the front of the boat.

However sometimes when it's real rough the boards lag behind and the tow line gets up underneath of the rods that are mounted on the side of the hardtop and sometimes I'm afraid they might fall into the water.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I tie a piece of rope around the top rail of the hardtop. Then I use a D-Clip to connect the planer line to the rope and the planer board itself.

I had the some problem the other day with the planer boards lagging behind. It was when the wind kicked up and the wind was working with the tide. The planer board on the windy side just could not keep up. The only solution I found was to troll with or against the wind/tide.

Hope this helps.

Ken

·
Registered
738 Posts
This picture shows where I attach mine from. In thi **** I used to put a towel around the tubbing so it would not rub. since then I have put some nylon rope around and attach to that point . Hope you can see from this

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys for the pictures, I have the exact same setup.

I thought maybe you might of had the line positioned in a way that it work a little better in rough seas.

I also noticed that I don't get as many bites on the boards when it's rough....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Important to adjust your speed in rough water, going against the tide and/or wind will affect your trolling speed big time. Sounds like the problem you had with your boards may have been related to that. Another thing to consider on rough days is not to drag your boards down with umbrellas. They create alot of drag in the water and will cause your boards to run further back. I personally don't run umbrellas off my boards, even on calm days for just that reason. I run single baits and tandems off the boards and my umbrellas off the boat and catch just fine. If you must run umbrellas off your boards then use the smaller 6" either 4 or 6 arm. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts