Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the debate on downrigger vibrations, do you guys prefer them to planers? I find planers to be less versatile. You can't accurately adjust the running depth, they are a pain when a fish is on and they are hard on the rods. I'm thinking of buying a downrigger and wanted some input from the board. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
There is no problem with vibration from down riggers if you get rid of the cable and use heavy braid. And yes downriggers are more versitile. And some folks even run their planer from the down rigger;-)

Bert

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of switching out the cable for 250 lb. PowerPro. Also, downriggers and dredges work well together. Is Cannon the brand to go with?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
We have used downriggers on just about every trip for the last three years. I have tried planners, but I find I can do more with downriggers. We replaced the cable early last year with 250# PowerPro, it works great. No strum and less blow back.
We use the Penn with a 48 inch boom. We usually have a Reel Draggin' Tackle Sport Dredge (12" diameter dredge) off the ball about 25 feet back and 5 feet deep. We then attach another line using an offshore release clip attached to the downrigger line and run it as another flat line' usually a RDT bird daisy chain running on top and just behind the dredge. A great and very effective combination.

This is why we use downriggers and we have taken all kinds of fish from whatever is off the ball. We even had a white bring the dredge to the back of the boat and toss it around.
Ken

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have used downriggers on just about every trip for the last three years. I have tried planners, but I find I can do more with downriggers. We replaced the cable early last year with 250# PowerPro, it works great. No strum and less blow back.
We use the Penn with a 48 inch boom. We usually have a Reel Draggin' Tackle Sport Dredge (12" diameter dredge) off the ball about 25 feet back and 5 feet deep. We then attach another line using an offshore release clip attached to the downrigger line and run it as another flat line' usually a RDT bird daisy chain running on top and just behind the dredge. A great and very effective combination.

This is why we use downriggers and we have taken all kinds of fish from whatever is off the ball. We even had a white bring the dredge to the back of the boat and toss it around.
Ken
Can you run a dredge with the downrigger arm perpendicular to the hull?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
goodpenguin; Yes, we have four rod holders down the gunnal and the downrigger is located in #3 (corner is #4). W have them straight out, putting them 48 inches off the side of the boat. I know some guys who mount them even further forward.

Ours are mounted in the rod holders so we can get them out of the way when needed. So, I suspect you can do the same on a cat. Even if you mounted them in the corner position, you can still turn them 90 degrees, straight out.

I should also mention that we also have the 360 degree swivel, and the rodholder mount.
Ken

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Another note on the dredges. Our Sport Dredge is only 12" diameter. It does not produce much drag, probably just a bit more drag than a 36" spreader bar. We run them with hooks. Nothing goes in the water without a hook.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts