Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just picked up my first set of boards for trolling and need some advice from all you experts out there..i opted to purchse the larger 3 bladed jobs..and will be fishing them from my 22 ft center console..i think i'll need to attach em to the ttop...but what type of cord should i use..and how far from the boat should they be set??? thanks

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I use 75' of weed wacker line for each side, with a caribeener clip crimped on each end. I clip to the forwardmost joint on each side of my t-top. People tell me that 75' of line is conservative, but it's what I'm comfortable with, especially since I fish solo a lot. I run 12 rods very comfortably with my boards and could probably add 8 more, but 12 is all I've got and 12 is enough work for me.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Orange .095" diameter smooth weed wacker line is what many use. The orange is one more may to make your boards visible (orange paint and a flag help also). Don't get the "bladed" line...some comes in square, star or hexagon shape. Shapes with sharp edges may make it better for cutting grass, but as a planer board line it just cuts up your hands and makes it harder for the clips to slide down it.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
go to or call All Tackle in Annapolis. They do planer spools with like 800lb mono. They will crimp and clamp for you. 75' should be fine.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Make sure you use a snubber!

I used my planer boards the first year without a shock cord "snubber" where I connect to the boat. My planer boards slammed so much as they bounced through the waves and chop that I thought that they would come apart.

I bought a pair of snubbers at BPS and attached them to the T-top. Snubbers are just heavy bungee cord that absorb the shock of the bouncing. That solved the problem very nicely and makes the planer boards run much more smoothly through the water without all the jerking.

Saltrodder
Annapolis

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Good boards should run smooth.Where did you get your's , Saltrodder ?

I like the .095 weed wacker cord and use a spool made for extension cords to store both lines :thumbup:.The weedwacker cord being cheap mono has some stretch to it.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Orange .095" diameter smooth weed wacker line is what many use. The orange is one more may to make your boards visible (orange paint and a flag help also). Don't get the "bladed" line...some comes in square, star or hexagon shape. Shapes with sharp edges may make it better for cutting grass, but as a planer board line it just cuts up your hands and makes it harder for the clips to slide down it.
Ditto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stick with a braid Big jon makes a Orange braid.There is also a florescent green not sure of manufacturer I had 200# mono on my traxtech planer reels and the memory would cause birdsnests around the reel if any slack got in the line I am sure weedwacker line would have the same issue.If Alltackle does not have the braided planer line I know that Fish307.com does have it. I run Traxtech planer reels mounted on the risers of my tee top on a 19ft Triumph 190 bay with a Fishmaster T-Top. I have chosen to run Big Jon Otter Boards.Rough water setting up or retrieving your boards is when the slack happens It only took me twice till I said forget this and went to braid have not had an issue since

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Pigs.095 OR .105 (I Use) will be strong enough and the Mono as Skip mentions will absorb the shock of WAVE hops.
I use an inexpensive 900# winch on the Top supports that mean you do not have to slow the boat down or Splash a crewmember when retrieving (triples pull hard as s...):D
PAleeese make sure you have a VERY visable flag on them.
BTW unless alone out there keep the distance from the boat reasonable...:confused:;-)
Thanks and Good hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts