Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about planner board you guys are running how far out do you run the line out on the planner line? and do you run the longest line out closet to the acutal board ?

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I run my boards (made by Skip/Sailfish 27) out 100' on each. I run the lightest and longest out first to the board. Heavier and shorter as I work my way to boat.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It varies. Some guys only run them 75ft and other guys run them 200ft or more. You want to mount your line forward on the boat and high. 100ft of line will get you 5 lines out. If you are new to boards start them short and as you become more comfortable make the lines longer and add another rod.

As for the line lengths- some people like to make furthest line down the board the longest like (80-100ft) then make them shorter as you get closer to the boat and others will do it relatively the same length for each line but stagger with different weighted rigs. Its whatever you feel comfortable with or have seen work on other boats.

Dave

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Funny, Dave (Spynet000) and I had this conversation the yesterday while trolling......I put all my lines approx the same 40-50 ft or so.....he was in favor of longest out furthest and shorter closer......not sure it makes much difference since they rarely stay in order as the rods are cycled.
My thought is that shorter is better since a fish hitting the furthest out has the lenght of the line to the clip plus the distance back from the clip, he's gonna be right in the middle of the boat rod lines...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have 90' of weed wacker cord on my boards and have plenty room for 4 rods on each. I am changing and going longer but will keep the 90's onboard for crowded days(opening day). When I started with boards about 6 yrs. ago, I ran 75' and three rods off each.

As for the lines coming off of the boards, I will normally run the furthest from the boat out the longest and shorting them up by about 10' as they get closer to the boat. Sometime I keep them the same. Dont overthink it........once you hook a fish, you dont reel all the other rods in to get the rod with the fish back into position.....you just send them out. One thing I seem to do alot, until I find out where the fish are is run one side 100' 90' 80' 70' and the other side 70' 60' 50' 40'...... In the spring when most fish are hitting high, I may run both boards at 50' 40' 50' 40'.......the less you have them out, the higher the bait will stay.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Funny, Dave (Spynet000) and I had this conversation the yesterday while trolling......I put all my lines approx the same 40-50 ft or so.....he was in favor of longest out furthest and shorter closer......not sure it makes much difference since they rarely stay in order as the rods are cycled.
My thought is that shorter is better since a fish hitting the furthest out has the lenght of the line to the clip plus the distance back from the clip, he's gonna be right in the middle of the boat rod lines...
Chawk25- Steve told me he liked them 40-50ft off the board but he was setting the port side while I was setting the starboard. Lets just say I snuck the first rod (white parachute 6oz w/ 9'' shad) 80 ft off the board and it was the first rod and the biggest fish that hit;-) I didn't tell Steve I set it out that far until the 40''er went in the box:D Needless to say he was ok with it.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Chawk25,
I run all my lines the same length out, anywhere between 60-80, but I make the weights heavier as they come in, you can see the different line angles of each rod...that way you are covering all the depths...everyone does ia different way for the most part, but you will experiment and figure out what works for you with time..

·
Registered
687 Posts
Glad this came up as i was wondering a few things myself as i want to start doing some trolling, either this fall or next spring.

I think goingfishin answered part of my question...........

I was wondering how you worked things when a planer rod got hit and when you set it back out.

I didnt figure you would pull all lines in and reset but wasnt sure if you just set the rod that was hit back out the same but in another position.
Can you just set it the same distance out with the same rigging or do you need to re-rig it with different weight or whatever?

Seems like it could be easy to create a potential mess if planer rods arent setup correctly especially when having to change positions.

Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One of the problems I found is mixing up my short tuna sticxks in with the bunch. On windy days when the mono is travelling with a lot of slack, they can become tangled or set up behind the lines in front of them, you just have to keep watch on them. I start with them closest in, but they invariably end up cycled out. I caught three in different positions on Sunday off one of my short rods and the 3rd fish came with the rod in 3rd out of 5 places...It was behind one of the other rod tips when the fish struck, luckily it didn't take the other rod out of the holder when the fish came tight. So advice would be to have all rods in your set up the same length. ( rods, not lines off of clips)
My staggers are 100,80, 70, 60,60, 60 70 and 80 have been my best lately

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Seems like it could be easy to create a potential mess if planer rods arent setup correctly especially when having to change positions.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Tip #1 - Don't overthink it.....just accept that sometimes you will end up with a tangled line and afterward try something a little different to minimise the problem. Lines NOT in the water don't catch fish !!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
great thread, thanks, and a ton of usefull info. does any one have a set of plans to make your own, we went on a charter out of solomons and the mate and i were talking about them he uses 1x12 so they set up in rough water but i didn't get the length or angles or set backs from him

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
There is a great clear set of plans online at
Planer Boards

Each planer starts out as an 8' piece of 1x10; cut lengths add up to the 8'
I made one (not a pair) from this plan; it was easy to make with minimal skills (circular saw and a drill are all that is needed), and runs like a champ in any seas I want to be out in.

Some folks have posted they use heavy dowels in place of the threaded rods, with the dowels glued into place. I'm sure there are a thousand other variations on the same basic pattern. Bottom line...a planer board design isn't rocket science

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
FWIW: I start out the far lures at 100' feet and work back in from there.Somedays all are back at lest 70 feet-other days they are short as 35 feet.I like to stagger the lures until I see what the fish want.

I do run one side singles or daisy chains so they are shallow.The other side I run tandems.

I mix up white and chart. on both sides so the fish have a good choice of depth and colors.I never agreed with one side white/one side chart.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Skip's board work great for me, except the flags were gone by the time we were finished fishing on Saturday. What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Never had anyone lose them- ????? Were they pushed in the hole all the way ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
They were as same as I've been using them for two years (and they've been great, catching fish and not flipping in rough seas). Perhaps the cement/glue that holds them to the pole must have given out? Poles were still standing straight up, sans flags. It was kinda breezy out there Saturday, they rode great but one flag was gone around 9am and the other disappeared around Noon. All of our fish came on the boards Saturday, so I'm not complaining, more of a comment on the snotty weather I seem to be fighting every trip this Fall. Maybe tomorrow will be a little nicer.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Top secret :D.

The starboard one is 140 feet. The port one is 138 feet - keeps the fish guessing.I also have 100 foot lines if it is real snotty or crowded.

If you run over 100 feet with my boards- move the eye bolt back 3/4 of an inch ;-). I designed them for 50 - 100 feet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
aright stupid question but how do you attach the lines to the boards with carbiner and rubberbands? do you attatch the band to the rod line then attatch the band to the carb. then clip the carb. to the planer line and it just slides down the line righ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts