Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen smaller boats without cabins or hard tops running planner boards.
These boards look to be smaller than regular boards.
I would appreciate any info on how they are connected to the boat, what size are the boards and are you catching any fish with them? I always thought my boat was too small for planners. Thanks for any help.:helpsmilie:

Mike

·
Registered
702 Posts
There is a post on the NNK Board, where someone posted a website YELLOW BIRD PLANER BOARD. It is much smaller and looks like you run 1 for each line. Does anyboby know if these would work??

peps

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you are talking about a "Yellow-Bird" planer. They are in line boards. (attaching to your line) Mostly used in the Great Lakes especially for walleye. Only about 10 inches long, which is ok for small lures but not the lures mostly used for rockfish. I used planers off a small boat before. Rigged a "mast" off the front seat and ran my planers off that. Worked great. Made it out of pvc. Good luck. :fishing2:Greg

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Do a search on "planer" so you get results from the spring. You should get some hits. Also search for a post from "Francis" I know he does it to the extreme from a 21' Whaler. That post should be in the spring timeframe as well.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Smaller boats can benefit greatly from planers as they increase the number of rods you can troll.The planer boards I make/sell can be pull from a front cleat with about 50 feet of line.The higher you can attach the line- the more you can put out, within reason.Masts for small boats are becoming more common.

We often catch fish off the line closest to the boat - maybe 35 feet away.A small boat with 50 feet of tow line can fish 3 off each side.The smaller boards are just not made for towing the heavy lures we use or sturdy enough to handle the bay chop.They take up room in the cockpit but are worth the hassle.

Rock will swim away from an approaching boat or swim down deeper.Planer rods catch the fish that swim off to the side.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
My suggestion to you is post a couple pics of your boat and we can give you ideas about where to secure planers.......Salman came up with a good set-up.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use the yellow bird boards when drifting eels at the cbbt. They give a nice wide spread but they don`t work trolling big lures.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skip, are you saying that you make/sell a smaller board?
If you do, then can i have the web address or site where the boards can be seen.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
No website - it's more of a hobby.

They are 2 feet wide and 3 feet on the far board.Come with flags and all the hardware is stainless steel.I use yellow pine that is 1 x 10.$140.00 per set.Alot of TFer's use the boards I make.They run great and can handle the choppy days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bass Pro Shop and Boaters World sell the in-line/single-line planers, about $40. They are servicable in under 1.5 ft,. seas. Good for 25 to 30ft out from boat.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I have used a smaller 2 board set on my boat that pulls single and tandem chutes just fine. They work good on calm days but the 3 board sets that Skip makes are necessary for rougher water or umb's. I pull the 3 board planers with my 19' boat w/out any problems..........

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
No website - it's more of a hobby.
These are great planner boards that Skip makes and the price is fair:thumbup:. A friend of mine (Mark1234) just got a pair and I have been out with him twice in the last week and they worked flawlessly. We were in 4' waves on the Bay yesterday and many times I thought they were gonna flip; not once. I have a 22' CC and could see how attaching it to the front cleat would work great. I was going to ask Skip about using a shorter length (50') of line, but he just answered my question in this thread. Attachment point needs to be strong, as these boards pull hard to keep that line very taught....Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Running scared

I have a set of planer boards they are tracking to the back of the boat any one have any ideas how to get it to track more to the center of the boat what I have is a two board 1 by 8 cut on a fifty degree angle from top to bottom and on a thrity degree angle on the side doI need to move the eye bolt futher forward or recut a diff. angle other than that the board works good runs fine in a heavy chop. thanks

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Try moving the eye bolt back one inch at a time.I like the eye bolt about 2 inches down from the top.

If you could post a photo of your boards- I might be able to help you out better.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Right now they are $140.00 per set.The stainless steel prices keep going up every month so I had to raise the price from last year.They are well made and will hold up for a long time.My set is seven years old and has a few thousands trolling miles on them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I made a set of planer boards many years ago, when I had a smaller boat (23 foot trophy) Always had a problem with storage. The original set was smaller and did not handle the chop that well. I gave them away and made a larger set.

In the spring of 2007 I lent them to a friend who lost one. ….So I had to make another.
While wondering around the Home Depot looking for material to build another replacement board, I had an idea…..Could I make a collapsible planer board?

2 hours later with material in hand I was on my way home to build a new design collapsible board.

I made one, to go with the non-collapsible board I still had. I made it the same size as the old non-collapsible one.

I wanted to see if it would track, pull, and basically work the same as a traditional board.
There is very little difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 18ft center console and run my homemade 2 board planers in the spring trolling. I tie them off to the front bow rail which is all welded and through bolted. They run great and u will definetely catch more fish running planers. The higher u can attach the lines at your boat the farther u will be able to get the boards out. I run mine at 50ft. out most the time but on calm days have ran them out 75ft. with 2 to 3 lines off each board. Goodluck !

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Best Boards Available

Try moving the eye bolt back one inch at a time.I like the eye bolt about 2 inches down from the top.

If you could post a photo of your boards- I might be able to help you out better.
I bought a set of Skip's for the fall season. HUGE difference over the plastic **** Riviera boards I had (although a trick I heard about on a Great Lakes board was to put duct tape over the slit in the middle of the boards to increase the outward pull). I attach mine to a fishing arch over the helm. The Riviera's ran great off of midship cleats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts