Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

It's that time of the year where I make my annual run to the Rappahannock River to visot my grandparents place that's tucked away just east of Bertrand, VA. Bouy 8 is almost right in front of us and enjoy the area a ton!

Anything happening up around that way so far this year? My Uncle usually get's down there before me by a few weeks and gives me a report, but unfortuneately is fighting cancer at this time, and is unable to go.

Thanks for any reports that come and look forward to getting up there soon for a little R&R and some fishing too.

[grin]

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
That part of the river is currently thick with medium spot and also hold the usual numbers of croaker. Occasional smallish flounder can also be found.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Capt!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sunday morning (6/25) the bite was on just up river at the # 10 bouy 18' - 20'. We caught croaker up to 2 1/2 lbs. and all the spot you could ever want, many of them were in the 3/4 lbs. range. All I had was squid and minnows. I started out targeting flounder (no luck) and found the bottom fish stacked up. I went back to my cottage and picked up my son and wife. When we got back to my spot we had a double before I could get the second rod baited up. I called a few other boats in that weren't doing to well. We caught over 50 fish in an hour. When we left we looked around to see all the other boats with bent rods. Even Mr. J's Pleasure came in. As usual he already had plenty of fish. He and his family were hunting citations. Bobby if you read this tell me if you got one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No citations but two 1 pounders and lots of nice fish. Thanks again for the call in Diane and Josh really apreciated it especially Josh who I have a picture of holding the 2 1lbers (will post on my website Monday night). Got to tip my hat to you as you had those fish bracketed. Drifting was the ticket for the big fish and it was like going to a fish market you'd drift and catch spot then you'd drift a little more and catch perch and then you'd drift a little more and youd hit the croaker spot. If all you wanted was spot shorten your drift if all you wanted was croaker don't go as far back up.

Thanks again

Bobby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts