Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of town for 2 weeks, work keeping me busy. Got back Saturday afternoon and saw the little weather window for Sunday. Figured the time is about right to soak some eels. Slept in some and left at 9 am with my neighbor Dave and Wes Blow and headed over to Old Plantation Light. Bay was still a bit bumpy from the Saturday blow but not bad.

Put a spread of eels out trying to cover the water column. Drift was minimal even at max outgoing only managed 1.1 knots. Not many bait marks, few birds diving, and even fewer fish marks. Had a few pulls that didn't come tight and finally Dave gets a 42 incher to the boat. Nice fish, had a a couple of sores but overall looked good so in the box he went. No other pulls the rest of the day and from the radio traffic, things seemed slow everywhere so we pulled lines at 3 pm and head to the barn. Turns out for Dave a 42 incher was his personal best so he was happy has a clam to bring him in.

Hopefully things will only get better from here.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
mike, we probably left there just as you were getting there. went over @ o dark thirty. travis didn't realize how big the waves were til it got light guz there's no slammin with the g. bay. never did see the tide run out though it was supposed to be @ 530 am high. never even got a pull. went to the rocks @ the 4th, no love for the eels. came back empty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
looks like your catch was as good as any today. unless the photo's not doing it justice, it looks to be a rather a skinny fish for the length.

·
Registered
41 Posts
that is why i like to troll over there. you cover alot more area and have a better chance of finding the baitfish and staying with the bait. besides eeling is so boring. :yawn:

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like your catch was as good as any today. unless the photo's not doing it justice, it looks to be a rather a skinny fish for the length.
Yea the fish was on the skinny side.

that is why i like to troll over there. you cover alot more area and have a better chance of finding the baitfish and staying with the bait. besides eeling is so boring. :yawn:
That is why I get to fish the way I want and you get to fish the way you want. I find eeling a relaxing way to fish. And often you make up for lack of quantity with quality.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I wish more people felt the way you do:D

Good Job Mike plan on working it hard next week on out:yes:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Pretty work, Mike. We were over there from around 1030 till 1230 without a bite. We made up for the lack of rockfish with a bunch of nice Togs.

Ed

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fleets Bay

Well, I can go ahead & give CHESSIE a proper Hybernation, Bath. And Yea, clean that fish blood & scales from the cooler.No more SKUNK smell there.Fleets seemed the place to be.Nothing too big, but nice fat 21 inchers.Birds & mucho bait.Now to hook up with somebody with heat,for the rest of the season!:rockingreport:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Well, we trolled over there for about 4 hours without a sniff. So we covered ground and found baitfish, but you found a ROCKFISH!

Nice work Mike

Glenn

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Nice fish Mike..... the bite should pick up this week w/ some stable weather. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nice

nice report Mike .:rockingreport: the mid bay is holding some fish , now if I could just quit chasing the horned critters for a day or two I might go after them . the albe is ready to go just need to dump her in the water . I'm off all week might give it a try on tues .
Kevin

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
:clap::clapping2::clap:

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have found if you troll that area you cover so much more area your chances of finding more and bigger fish is much greater than just drifting around blindly like every one else.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have found if you troll that area you cover so much more area your chances of finding more and bigger fish is much greater than just drifting around blindly like every one else.
Good job on the fish Mike. I like trolling and eeling, but I have seen more tournaments won using eels (if live bait is allowed). I troll with eels and drift with eels. My biggest fish have been caught with eels. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Better Than Most

Mike,

Nice fish & good photo. Fished north above Deltaville Sunday. Slow is an understatement. We had 5 small schoolers for the entire day of trolling and they all came in the last hour. Still a good time, good company & beautiful day on the water.

We marked fish everywhere and they were big fish, but they never turned on.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia
Stripers Forever

1 - 20 of 25 Posts