Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get down like I used to since I moved to Lynchburg but we are going Monday. Can someone please share current regs and limits on rockfish and if there is a difference ocean and bay fishing at this time.

Best of luck to all,

Doug

·
Registered
643 Posts
Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person * 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Virginia Coastal Seasons ..................................................................January 1 through March 31 &
.......................................................................................................................…May 16 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit............................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit.................................................... 2 per person

The kicker is that if you catch fish in the slot you cannot posses them in the ocean, and if you catch more than 1 per person in the ocean you'd be overlimit in the bay, so be mindful of your catch, for example you catch a 30" fish in the ocean, you can't stop and chase schoolies at the CBBT on your way back in, and a couple 22" fish would be illegal in the ocean.

Other Virginia restrictions: You may not combine possession limits when seasons overlap or you fish in multiple jurisdictions. Gaffing striped bass or attempting to gaff striped bass is illegal in Virginia marine waters.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
you have 3 days to fish the BAY, IT CLOSES 31 DEC AT MIDNIGHT....... you are allowed 1 fish per person.......that 1 fish has to be between 18 & 28 inches or it may be over 34.........

the Coastal season is open until March 31st 2009.......each person is allowed 2 fish over 28 inches........

where is the bay/coastal line you ask ?

ALLOW ME:::

Attachments

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
When you come to think about it, yesterday, there were about 1,000 violators of the bay rule yesterday as most of us were inside of the line on the bay side. Oh well, VMRC cannot and does not try to ticket that many boats.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Where the southern part of the line hits the shore is a killer, most people don't realize that the Lighthouse isn't the marker. The line starts East of the light, basically where the shoreline starts to turn West.

Trust me, the VMRC knows exactly where the line is and will write a ticket if you aren't where your supposed to be. This will really be a bigger deal when the bay season closes and the fish are inside the corner where it'll be illegal to keep them.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
THATS WHAT THE MAP IS FOR......DUHHH

if all you do is C&R where ever you go your in the clear no matter what.....even 12 miles out !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts