Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday around 5:30PM, I went down to the Appomattox on the Petersburg side close to the powerhouse dam and everyone was catching shad. I stayed about an hour and brought in about 13. Water level wasn't too high and fun was had by all.

John [smile]

·
Registered
56 Posts
SHHHHHHHH John. You don't have to go tellin' everybody! [wink] Don't even mention the fact this is the second week of that kind of action. [tongue] Who needs the James River for shad? [grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Please don't tell these Yahoos about that. Let them go to Richmond and the Chick.

Last week, someone reeled in a shotgun there and one person drowned. Be careful. Good fishing.

Yell at me on the other side.

Dayton

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Just go to the Colonial Hgts side and ask anyone near the "shed". They will point you in the right direction. I just got mine Sunday.

Dayton

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cal's doesn't sell then anymore. Usually there is someone at Dimmeracks to take your cash. Petersburg is free if you don't mind the extra cussin about mf this and gd that. Folks are pretty nice there otherwise.

John

·
Registered
534 Posts
I grew up in the Burg but haven't been to the powerhouse in almost 30 yrs. What's this with the permits on the CH side? Is it still a dirt road down to the river? Can you still park and walk down the hill from Va. State U? Does anyone dip any more on the rocks?-- sorry for all the Q's, it brings back many memories.

·
Registered
111 Posts
[Q]john rooney originally wrote:
Usually there is someone at Dimmeracks to take your cash.
[/Q]
So Louis Dimmerack still owns that land? Havent seen him in about 15 years.

Yea, theres a dirt road leading to the dam. Its been "fixed-up" a lil. Theres a metal bridge crossing that small creek, and pavillion tables.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glenn, There is a rumor that some still dip among the rocks. [wink]

Soimcrazy, my new shiny pass has the freshly penned signature of Louis Dimmerack himself; and a 5 handwritten over the 4 in 2004.

Shad fishing was very slow Sat. morn.

John

·
Registered
117 Posts
They aren't alewifes. They're gizzard shad.
Also, the fishing regulations state, "It shall be unlawful to fish or to collect bait from March 1 through June 15 within 300 feet of Boshers Dam Fishwayon the north bank of the James River or within 150 feet of the Harvell Dam Fishway on the south bank of the Appomattox River."

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Better fishing from the Petersburg side and no special permit required. Iv'e never had any trouble and been Herring and Shad fishing there for over 25 years, Damn I'm getting........NOT...More edjucated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Ketch69, I thought I was losing my mind since I have been calling the Gizzard an Alewife for years. Incorrectly I hate to say. The Gizzard Shad is a different creature from the "Alewife Herring" according to this link. [sad] I hate to be wrong, what's worse I am wrong in writing, so I can't deny it. [tongue]

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/shadherringid.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts