Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call Monday afternoon from fellow TFer Mlag ( Mark ). TFer 5th tutition ( Marty ) called Mark - trying to round up a last minute crew to fill out 5 spots on the charter boat " Patent Pending ". You never have to twist my arm to go on a charter boat - always learn some new tactics. The fact Marty is the mate and it is a new 46 foot Markley made it a no brainer.

Jim from Marty's baitshop - TFer Dricitt ( Don ) , his buddy Rich and Barry finished out the crew.

No matter what - this was going to be a fun filled day. Just like a kid on Christmas Eve - sleep never really came.

Got to the boat at 5:45 am as the others arrived. Capt. John was running late but he had the boat keys. Not that any of us could have gotten the huge boat out - she is in a tight corner slip. Capt. John arrived right at 6:00 and lines were cast off. We motored out slowly past the jetties and then headed ESE to about 35 feet of water. Everyone on board fishes and the spread was set out quickly.

22 rods out before we knew it - we looked around for more. Last rod I set was 100 feet back umbrella with 16 ozs - guys teased me that was mine. Wind was from south but the big boat laughed at the 2 foot chop.

Guess it took about 30 minutes before the first fish hit. Rich reeled in a nice 34 incher to start the day. It hit a tandem off the boards. Jim got the next one - about same size. It hit a chartruese lure as well - off the boards. We circled back and got a hit but no hook up. Don got the next fish - off a boat rod. We worked the channel edges and the deep umbrella got hit. Guys pointed to me - thanks doh. Even with 16 ozs and an umbrella - the fat 38 incher gave a good fight. It was only about 8:30 - we all thought it would be a quick day.

Well , current slowed and so did the fishing. We all relaxed on the seats and Barry told us about fishing in Germany - were he does some work. You have to go to a class to learn the rules and there is little public fishing areas. Time went by and Marty did a good job checking the rigs but all were clean. He switched a few things around but the south breeze seemed to hold the out going current. We had trolled east / west all morning but Capt. John swung and trolled due north. Odd but he is the boss.

Remember him being last to the boat ? Well , he stopped off and got crab cakes for us and fried them on the boat. No lie , lunch fit for a king.

Now anyone who fishes knows how eating a sandwich often draws a strike.
Needless to say - seven guys eating hot crab cakes almost guaranteed a strike. Sure enough - one bite in - FISH ON. Mark set his lunch down an reeled in a nice 36 incher. With five in the box and full bellies - life was pretty good.

The last fish did not hit until about 12:30 but it was a good one and Barry was rewarded for being last angler. Just a kiss shy of a citation - the fat 39 1/2 incher finished our day. We all pitched in to reel in the rods and headed back to Deale as the breeze picked up.

Capt. John runs a catering / restaurant and we stopped there to clean the fish out back. While he checked on business - one of the waitresses brought out a small tray of fried Rockfish nuggets. What a great ending to a fun day.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Man, thinkin we need one of those cooking fryin' pans on our boat.. those crab cakes look damn good! And just to think, I have to eat cheese sandwhiches when i go fishing! Here guys are feasting on crab cakes! Where am I going wrong?!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
That is a fine looking boat, fine crab cakes and fine fish. Not so sure about the crew though.:thumbup:

Your day was much better than mine.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thanks to all who made the trip. It was a last minute operation when Capt John called me to see if I could fill those spots. I have a ton of friends on TF and many of them I owe favors. I've been on Skip's boat, Mark's boat, and Don's boat, Jim has been a help to me on many occqassions through his store, and Rich introduced me to my electronics guy for all my FF/GPS -radio-and bilge pump work.
I know I have a lot more favors to repay, so I hope to do another trip like this again.
Today would have been questionable in our boats, but sitting back and eating a crabcake lunch on a 46 Markley makes the time pass quickly.
The last couple of fish were not easy to come by, so we may need to head south to try to improve our odds in the near future.
Again a big thanks to all who made the trip memorable.
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
5 Star Operation

Hey Marty - Thanks again for the invite. That is a great gig you have found for sure....congrats. You are always welcome on my boat but no way I can reciprocate with a lunch like you guys provided for us. The boat (Patent Pending) was absolutely awesome; never been able to smell what a new boat smells like before. Capt John is a super nice guy and he did a great job locating the fish and getting us all hooked up:thumbup:. I can highly recommend this operation(5 Stars).....Don

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Fun day for sure! The morning started off with this and it only got better as the day went on.............................

Marty (5th tuition) had planer boards deployed and 22 rods in the water in approximately 7 minutes!!!! Ok...he may have had a little help..............

Just a relaxing day with friends with a limit of rockfish for good measure.......

Did Skip mention the ride or just the food? Check it out...............

Beautiful boat!!! Man does she handle the slop well.

I second Don's reference..............Capt John is a really cool Captain his operation is 1st class. Great day on the..............................

Thanks again Capt John and Marty for the invite............................Mark

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Thanks to all who made the trip. It was a last minute operation when Capt John called me to see if I could fill those spots. I have a ton of friends on TF and many of them I owe favors. I've been on Skip's boat, Mark's boat, and Don's boat,
5th (Marty)
you sure have been on marks boat, many, many times! Oh, you meant MLAG!

Thats one ugly crew but the boat looks purdy! Some serious good free ads too! :yes: you'll be full every trip in no time!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Marty,
I had a great time fishing with the crew today and Patent Pending is a beautiful classic bay boat. Captain John was terrific and an excellent cook. Not sure whether I liked the crab cakes or rockfish tempura more. Thanks again, Patent Pending is a fish catching floating restaurant.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sign me up. I've been skunked four days in a row up in the Northland (Kent Island area) I'm sure it has a lot to do with my inexperience, but it's not my lack of trying. I will persist, due to great posts like yours. It gives us novice guys reason to get back on that boat. Seriously, I'm jealous. Great day for you guys.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I can't add much to what already has been said. Capt. John has a beautiful boat, and is a great host. The food was great, I will be taking "mama" for some good eatin' at the cafe soon. Marty is a great mate, I appreciate the invite. Fishing with the normal fellows and friends Skip, Mark, Rich, and Don was fun as usual. It was nice meeting Barry. And the fishing was great too! I thank everyone for an excellent day.

Jim

Here's a few more pics:

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Skip

Thanks for the :rockingreport: and great :photo4:. While I love seeing fishing pictures and reading reports, this report's main attraction what that good looking spread of good you guys had:chugbeer::eatdrink: I'm blaming you for causing me to go out to eat for lunch today, let me know where to send you the bill:))
:fishing2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.