Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After too much work and not enough play, I took Friday off and headed to PLO. I had a baitcasting combo to christen and some free time, so I headed out the door as soon as I could. Of course, I didn't check the winds before I went, and it was blowing like stink. :52: Fortunately, Cornfield Harbor was in the lee, so the waves weren't bad even though the wind was. My plan was to fish for flounder and redfish. I trolled around for bluefish while I looked for likely places to try for flounder. After about a little over an hour, I had no bluefish nor likely flounder leads. I was tired of fighting the wind and couldn't drift the way I wanted to, so I decided to try my luck around the harbor jetties. I was jigging a 3" Gulp shrimp when I saw a flash as the lure neared the surface. The fish and I missed each other twice more before I finally set the hook. It was a really feisty 15" redfish:

There's no better rush than having a totally green fish going ballistic right at your gunwale!

I caught a 14" striper and another 15" redfish in the same spot along the northwestern jetty. At least I got one of my target species. I had been practicing with my baitcaster in my backyard, but casting it while seated in a kayak is a whole 'nother ballgame. :wacko: Anyway, I fished from about 9am to 1pm on a really weak incoming tide. The water temp was around 69 degrees and salinity was 15ppt. I caught the first drum on the Gulp shrimp, but all the rest of the fish were caught on a 4" chartreuse Gulp grub on a 1/2oz head. I fished around in Lake Conroy a good bit, too, based on advice from another kayaker there, but I didn't have any luck. He said he had caught some flounder in there Thursday night. I hit lots of good dropoffs but to no avail.

Sunday, I went to St. Mary's Lake to break in a new freshwater combo (I had a good birthday recently) from 2pm until 6pm. I was surprised to find the water level was down about 4 feet, which prevented me from launching at the boat ramp, which was too muddy. There was access to a sandier strip of beach from the handicap access trail near the northwest corner of the parking lot. I hit all the standing timber in the immediate area but had no hits nor saw no fish on my fish finder. Chartreuse grubs and spinnerbaits weren't working, so I switched to a white twin-tail grub and landed a 12" pickerel. Since I wasn't seeing any action in the water column, I started heading toward the dam. I saw a big bunch of big marks along the way, stopped and started jigging. The 3" twin-tail grub on a 1/4oz head was too light, so I switched to the only heavy thing I had, which was a 3/4oz Spro bucktail (school bus color). I jigged that for a bit and caught a 16" pickerel. I jigged around for a little longer, tried a Rattletrap and another crankbait, but I didn't have anymore hits. I saw lots of suspended fish in water over 10ft, but I only ended up catching one more pickerel on the twin-tail grub down by the dam. It was only 14". I need to get some crankbaits that dive to 8-12ft because that's were all the fish were on my fish finder. The water temp was 70 degrees the entire time I was there.

Anyway, it was a nice couple of days, and I managed to christen both of my new combos. :clapping2:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Glad to see your fishing reports. Joey and I were wondering today what you have been up to because we have not seen your fishing reports recently. You just introduced me a one more place to visit. Thanks for the repots.
Joe

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey, its good to hear from you ictalurus. Like Joe said we were wondering what you have been up to. Im actually going to the lake in the morning. Im actually going to ride around it but was planning on taking some gear. I dont know if I will be able to fish because like you said the water level is low. I herd they were working on the dam.

Joey

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Joey,

You could go, but the fishing was really tough. You'd have to drag or roll your kayak down one of the trails to get to a suitable launch site. There's a little point west of the launch that isn't too muddy, and that's where I launched. I would recommend fishing the dam side because a lot of the other areas are really shallow. They could be productive in the morning, but there wasn't much going on during mid day. The water was clear but stained and the sun was pretty bright when I was there. There were a lot of marks on my fish finder out a ways from the standing timber that's down by the dam, which is where I jigged up the one of the pickerel.

I spent a week at a conference in Nova Scotia, which I highly recommend as a tourist destination, a week out on a research vessel, and a week finalizing my presentation for the conference, so I didn't fish from my kayak much. I did fish from the rocks by the lab during lunch breaks, and I caught some little stripers and blues and a 17" redfish, which really surprised me. If the weather stays good this week, I hope to make up for lost time... :fishing2:

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
for the deep suspended fish in the lake, try blade baits like silver buddys..hit the bottom, lift and drop then work them backl to you..:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good suggestion, BK. I bought a couple of those for suspended perch in the Occoquan, but I left them in my truck that day. I'll definitely bring them with me next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts