Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather is looking good and was hoping to sneak out on Friday. thinking about heading down to PLO, has anyone been lately? I heard some good action a week ago. Might have room for one if anyone interested, towing down from the Annapolis area.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Chris, A few light tackle guides are tearing it up down there right now under birds........ Gary

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Try along the 40 to 50 foot edge.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just got back from PLO having fished from about 11:30AM to Dusk on Monday and from about 8:00AM to 3:30PM on Tuesday(yesterday). Monday the conditions were as perfect for fishing as could have been. Overcast with great visibility, slight chop with a few white caps, water temp ranging from 47.4* to 48.4* and very few boats out and about. Getting with birds was the ticket and boy oh boy did we find some bird tornados which we had pretty much all to ourselves. Three of us were fishing and caught/released an estimated 50 keeper size rock to 30 inches. Screen shot and fish pic was from Monday's festivities. We debated going to the Rap on Tuesday but stayed local to PLO due to our success and figuring a repeat because with the exception of less wind the forecast was the same as Monday. Welp the light wind forecast brought out the masses. On Monday we saw maybe a total of 20 boats whereas on Tuesday there were ~ 150 boats and the skies were sunny. Birds again showed us the way to the promised land but it was like a soccer match with five year olds all converging on the one ball. Yeah, we were one of those five year olds chasing the birds as they formed up and got busted up by 20 boats descending upon them. We did manage ~ 20 keeper sized rock again to 30 inches. On one of our last successful stop and drops of the day we saw a working boat pulling up a gill net. Holy hell did that net hold a lot of rock. He very well could have scooped half of the school we got on top of. Kinda perturbing to watch them keep everything they netted while we could not keep a single fish. Oh, we primarily jigged metal both days with almost all fish being caught bouncing bottom in 30 - 40' of water.

Side note: Around 2:30 on Tuesday with action having pretty much ground to a halt and the flat seas we decided to make a run into Virginia waters in the hopes of marking some fish and taking home some table fare. We swung past Smith Point light and looped west near to the Great Wicomico and headed back north along the shore. No sign of life in VA waters but more nets of death. There were very well marked gill nets hanging for as far as my eyes could see.
Water Vertebrate Fishing net Fisherman Boat

Plant Rectangle Natural landscape Output device Font

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Sounds like you had a very nice day. Gill nets didn’t get invented yesterday and the fish still keep making it. The gill net cry needs to stop. I do believe, like you, that more protection needs to be made, but it’s not all the gill netters fault. That cry wolf is getting old. Gill netting has been around since someone could make a gill net.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Sounds like you had a very nice day. Gill nets didn’t get invented yesterday and the fish still keep making it. The gill net cry needs to stop. I do believe, like you, that more protection needs to be made, but it’s not all the gill netters fault. That cry wolf is getting old. Gill netting has been around since someone could make a gill net.
The Nets were banned in Florida and now it's a World class fishery............ Gary

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I don’t know, Gary. I don’t live in florida. Don’t fish in Florida. Just know they’ve been here for more than a century and we still got a fishery. I do know, when they banned recreational harvest of striped bass, I.e. the moratorium, the striped bass made a dramatic comeback. Then we allow recreational harvests again and we’re back to dog days.
That’s results you can see. Just need to watch who we point fingers at.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
I don’t know, Gary. I don’t live in florida. Don’t fish in Florida. Just know they’ve been here for more than a century and we still got a fishery. I do know, when they banned recreational harvest of striped bass, I.e. the moratorium, the striped bass made a dramatic comeback. Then we allow recreational harvests again and we’re back to dog days.
That’s results you can see. Just need to watch who we point fingers at.
It's everybody doing it........ Gary

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry Longtail, was not my intention to assign blame but I certainly understand why you interpreted my words as such. It was the first time I had ever witnessed a gill net being cleared and it was a holy hell moment. Imagine the fishery if an across the board moratorium was implemented.

And yeah man, it was a nice couple of days. It's nice to bring some fodder home but that's not why I fish so all good.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Great report - much appreciated

I vote yes for a moratorium. Whatever the cause, something has to change.

Pat

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks for the report Rock ‘n Load - great seeing your had a good 2 days out there.

I’m heading out Friday (tomorrow) from Buzz’s or PLO. Going to give my new sonar (Garmin 94sv) another chance to find me some fish.

- Sean

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the report Rock ‘n Load - great seeing your had a good 2 days out there.

I’m heading out Friday (tomorrow) from Buzz’s or PLO. Going to give my new sonar (Garmin 94sv) another chance to find me some fish.

- Sean

I have some friend's fishing today. I'll post up when they call me after getting off the water. Nice weather forecast tomorrow and with lots of folks off on the eve I suspect a 5 year old soccer match or two will be going on. I'd put in at PLO if I were you. I think that will put you in closer to the action. Stay tuned, I should be getting a call in a few hours.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't have good news for PLO from my buddy. They ran around covering 75 miles. Found/saw no bird activity. Did get on good marks for 20 mins and only managed 4 keepers sized fish. He did not comment on size so I'm sure they were just over the 20" mark

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got back from PLO having fished from about 11:30AM to Dusk on Monday and from about 8:00AM to 3:30PM on Tuesday(yesterday). Monday the conditions were as perfect for fishing as could have been. Overcast with great visibility, slight chop with a few white caps, water temp ranging from 47.4* to 48.4* and very few boats out and about. Getting with birds was the ticket and boy oh boy did we find some bird tornados which we had pretty much all to ourselves. Three of us were fishing and caught/released an estimated 50 keeper size rock to 30 inches. Screen shot and fish pic was from Monday's festivities. We debated going to the Rap on Tuesday but stayed local to PLO due to our success and figuring a repeat because with the exception of less wind the forecast was the same as Monday. Welp the light wind forecast brought out the masses. On Monday we saw maybe a total of 20 boats whereas on Tuesday there were ~ 150 boats and the skies were sunny. Birds again showed us the way to the promised land but it was like a soccer match with five year olds all converging on the one ball. Yeah, we were one of those five year olds chasing the birds as they formed up and got busted up by 20 boats descending upon them. We did manage ~ 20 keeper sized rock again to 30 inches. On one of our last successful stop and drops of the day we saw a working boat pulling up a gill net. Holy hell did that net hold a lot of rock. He very well could have scooped half of the school we got on top of. Kinda perturbing to watch them keep everything they netted while we could not keep a single fish. Oh, we primarily jigged metal both days with almost all fish being caught bouncing bottom in 30 - 40' of water.

Side note: Around 2:30 on Tuesday with action having pretty much ground to a halt and the flat seas we decided to make a run into Virginia waters in the hopes of marking some fish and taking home some table fare. We swung past Smith Point light and looped west near to the Great Wicomico and headed back north along the shore. No sign of life in VA waters but more nets of death. There were very well marked gill nets hanging for as far as my eyes could see. View attachment 280463

View attachment 280465
Great report Rock n load, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Great report. Glad you got out there and were able to enjoy the water.

What's up with you, Longtail? In case you don't remember, the commercial fishermen were the leaders in the crash in the 70's and 80's. They got banned, too. After the moratorium, things got better, world class, in fact. Then they opened the commercial fishery back up, and it has declined ever since. They just have better press and more political power nowadays. They blame everything on the recs and deny, deny, deny. If you are a commercial fisherman, as I have been, you know the score, so no need to blow the hype here. It's kind of late for that.

I have to say, though, that fewer fish is definitely better for the commercial fishermen. Much more $$$ per day of fishing when you find them. Not like the days when we were limited to 200 lbs at $2/lb when fish were everywhere.

This is gill net season. Mesh sizes are lower, so hopefully fewer breeders are being killed. Have to let some through to keep the fishery going. Still, I hate to see it. I tend to think if all commercial fishing were H&L, the population would be better.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
There was commercial striped bass fishing during the closure.

recs blame commercials, commercials blame recs……..charters sit back and laugh

1 - 20 of 45 Posts