Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Every day is different. One day nothing and next on fire. Thats the way it's been forever.. You just have to go and hope it's your day......... Gary

·
Registered
315 Posts
The weather is looking good and was hoping to sneak out on Friday. thinking about heading down to PLO, has anyone been lately? I heard some good action a week ago. Might have room for one if anyone interested, towing down from the Annapolis area.
Thanks for the report Rock ‘n Load - great seeing your had a good 2 days out there.

I’m heading out Friday (tomorrow) from Buzz’s or PLO. Going to give my new sonar (Garmin 94sv) another chance to find me some fish.

- Sean
How did you guys make out?

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was commercial striped bass fishing during the closure.

recs blame commercials, commercials blame recs……..charters sit back and laugh
I agree with your 2nd part 100%, but if we are talking the '84 Moratorium I'm pretty sure it applied to both Commercial and Recreational

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
I agree with your 2nd part 100%, but if we are talking the '84 Moratorium I'm pretty sure it applied to both Commercial and Recreational
The striped bass moratorium was from 1984 to 1990 and included commercial and recreational fishing......... Gary

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
There was commercial fishing for striped bass, not gonna argue
I won't argue either but I do not think there was commercial harvest of striped bass in md portion of the bay during the moratorium. I think there was some harvest still on the coast and in other states. I know the state paid a lot of watermen to work for DNR (doing all kinds of cool projects, watermen are very skilled at a lot of stuff) rather than fish. It was called the watermen compensation program.

I will add that the moratorium spurred a huge wave of research and investment in striped bass farming to fill the market gap. After it was lifted, the wild catch filled the gap and it really did not make economic sense to aquaculture them. Price was too low.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I think what the dnr should do is set up safe zones for the fish. When they’re schooled up off of swan point all summer because they have to be, you shouldn’t let fisherman just sit on top of them and decimate em all summer long.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I think what the dnr should do is set up safe zones for the fish. When they’re schooled up off of swan point all summer because they have to be, you shouldn’t let fisherman just sit on top of them and decimate em all summer long.
The netters would love that. More fish for them during netting season. Just like when the rec. crabbers. said they wanted to make it illegal to keep female crabs, a 19 in. striper , a 9in. yellow perch. Their wishes were granted. It's the old rules for thee but not for me and be careful what you wish for standards.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Capt,
I rarely target rockfish anymore. I don’t think they’re good table fair.

I’ve really enjoyed the more diverse fishery we’ve been having last few years with that mack and increase in better size bluefish. Drum and trout as far up as the Severn. Hope that continues

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Capt,
I rarely target rockfish anymore. I don’t think they’re good table fair.

I’ve really enjoyed the more diverse fishery we’ve been having last few years with that mack and increase in better size bluefish. Drum and trout as far up as the Severn. Hope that continues
That's all well and fine if you don't mind waiting until late summer to fish for those species. I remember you posting "Who says there's no fish" when those species came up the bay. Your post was in August. Some fishermen like to fish earlier than August without travelling down the bay to catch fish. I used to do all that stuff too. it's not worth it to me any more and I'm sure there are alot of other fishermen that feel the same way. I am no longer a glutton for punishment to catch some fish. I don't fish the bay anymore . It's not worth it to me . 1 striped bass, catfish , white perch or hike down the bay? Not interested. I do much better fishing and crabbing local rivers in a small skiff or kayak . Running some crab pots in the bay to catch crabs earlier , later and faster is still worth it , I can start catching some crabs to eat in May .

21 - 40 of 45 Posts