Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in the old call to the bullpen and asked Capt. Steve Seigel to come on down to the lower bay to do some feeeeeshing this week-end. He asked where I would be putting out of and I told him that I was going to blind-fold him and make him put me on the fish. Launched from a public ramp down south near a big bridge thinking we would be solo running super early when come to find out Francis( DIPSTICK)---that's what Seigel calls him---was right next to us---he was 2 steps ahead. So much for getting there first:):):) Seeing DIPSTICK ahead of us put the old Captain in a mood. Sooooo, I put Seigel on the helm and he ran the SKIRTCHASER out 40 Knots and left DIPSTICK in our wake.

We'll it didn't take long and we had our spread out and Seigel yells," GOD #@#@, look at that bait!!!!" and a planer board popped near the western channel edge near PNP Light. First fish in the box and the old captain smilin on a favorite spot of his that probably put his daughter through college. The captain does his thing and ZZZZZZZZZ fish on 40 in the box on a turn. Now it's getting deep and I have to hear an earful on how he hasn't lost his touch and can find the fish away from the crowds. A limit came in short order when another fish came in the box shortly there after. Jingle bells umbrella with BKD's.

Here is where the fun begins:):):):):):) Just when I've had enough and he proves to me that he can catch fish in a mud pond I was just hoping I could do something to get him back. We have another fish on a planer and KAAAABOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!! GUUUNSHOOOOT!!!!POOOOWWWWWWWWW! My planer board line SNAPS and Seigel hits the deck like a sack of potatoes. He ducks for cover thinking we got shot at by some terrorists when I realize we lost a planer board. I hadto tell the captain to get up, he was still ducked behind the cuddy. As long as I've known the man, I have never seen him move, duck, run, eat, that fast ever in my life. Wow.........I couldn't stop laughing and we had the biggest mess for the next hour on the boat. At least we had our over limit. Lesson of this post..................

Check your planer line or replace every year. I just bought some .130 dia stuff.
Don't under estimate an old salt. Them boys from Ridge can catch fish!!!!
Don't laugh to hard at them, they always have the last laugh!!!

Frank
"Skirtchaser"

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Sounds like you guys had fun out there Frank! I wouldve loved to see anyone hit the deck like that! Old friends are the best to laugh at- thats for sure!

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Here I thought it would be skim ice that put him on the deck.
Busting weedwacker cord - OUCH - no shame in ducking to avoid that :eek2:.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
No way I believe you haven't seen him eat faster than that! Good to hear he's still got the touch. I know he's put me on some nice fish in that area over the years.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
339 Posts
The most fun charter I've ever been on was a Steve Seigel charter. I think his mate was Daryll, another charter capt filling in for his sick son.

What a day!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for the report.. going on 3 years with my whacker line.. I only run two board planers.. doubt it has felt the strain of some larger 3 board setups.
Sounds like a MOB drill 2 me.. !!!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Having been shot at on two different times while Deer hunting ---- I DON'T BLAME HIM! Glad you guys got your limit.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
I have a solution. Don't use planer boards. Very simple, really.

I don't blame the old fart Siegel. I can't beleive he would even be seen on a boat with those things. Surprising that he has any hearing left at his advanced age.

See you guys when you get down here.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
i would put big money on it...when he hit the deck that was the one and only time that old fart got out of his chair. he usually travels with a several young caregiver bucks from the mountains that get him moved around from point a to b.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Great story Frank! Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist. I cut and paste and sent it to my uncle Greg. He asks about you all the time. Christy

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
BWAHAHAHAHA That is some good stuff. I would have payed for all the gas on the trip just to be able to see that.

No joke about the old man leaving me in the dust. It was well before sunup, before 6am even I think. I had waken up at 3:15 in the morning to get a jump on the fish, and who do I see first thing in the morning but Seigel. Talk about a bad dream.

I was following in their wake until I hit a wave and it knocked the power out on my Garmin. By the time I slowed down to get it turned back on and restarted, they were nowhere in sight!

I think Seigel turned off the running lights and ran in stealth mode to avoid me following him. He probably burnt 40 gallons of Franko's gas getting there. He was running at 5500 RPM's and 45 mph the whole way.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good Job Frank
glad to hear that the ol salty dawg is feeling betterand made it out withya. He's got a golden horse shoe up his butt. I've always caught fish with him. Never got sunked and always caught more than one.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deering----------that's too funny. Leave him alone would ya.

Isabelle---he hasn't lost his touch. At least not with fishing. Sandee will tell you otherwise:):)

Brincy----I have to beg him to put out a spread larger than 6 rods. He hates fishing with planer boards. It wasn't toooo long ago you were running that big spread down at PLO.

Frank
"Skirtchaser"

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Puttin' a big spread out is fine. Puttin' out planer boards is just not for me. As My Grandfather Capt. Al Jones says - "The day I need to put out those things to catch a fish, I'll hang up my hooks"...

When are you and Capt. Siegel coming down? I heard he is celebrating his 80th birthday this Winter???

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Frank did you ever find that reel you where looking for? I can't believe Sandee hasn't chimed in yet!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cap't Jim----We will most likely be down between the dates of Dec. 19th- January 5th. I may bring my boat or we may be going out with Lee Tippett on his 25 Maycraft. Won't make the call for a couple weeks. Hope to see you down there at Long Bay. I think Steve turns 80 nxt month:):)

Russ D---- Lee Tippett is supposed to be selling me his Calcutta for 75 bucks. I am holding out til then. If not, I will get the Shimano we discussed. The calcutta is nice but it's left handed(standard). Not exactly what I'm looking for but I can't beat the price. We'll see how it plays out.

Frank
"Skirtchaser"
25 Proline WA
F225 Yamaha

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If Paul Bunyan is selling it to you, you better get it looked over by a professional before you buy it. . . Never know what's up with his stuff! :eek2:

I just called him and offered to buy it for 80 bucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts