Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a floor in a 14ft Aluminum Semi-V, but I'm unsure of how thick??

The floor will not pass under the bench seats because of the legs that are riveted in for support, so the deck will be in two pieces.

My thinking is for THICKER being better, not only stronger, but, the added weight to the bottom of the boat will help make it more stabill. But.....THINNER does cost less!!! Any advice is nice :thumbup: Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would recommend you go through the extra trouble of removing the seat and reconfiguring the supports to sit on top of the new floor. With a big gap in the floor it's pretty much a guarantee that you will lose stuff down into the newly formed bilge...

You will need to fabricate some sort of support structure to go under the floor. If you use 3/4" ply you could probably get away with a single stringer down the centerline of the boat. Just add some pieces to the very top of that stringer to increase the thickness for better support.

Also, put a light layer of glass over any wood you put in there. It will help protect it from rot.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,157 Posts
I did a similar, although more complex, retrofit to a 16' Starcraft many years ago.

I removed the center bench seat and did not replace it. The deck was in one section, covered with outdoor astro turf. It was longer than the exposed deck area and slid (forcefully) under the forward and aft bench seats by at least 6" at both ends. It was an intensional pressure fit so no fasteners were needed to secure the deck to the stringers. I used 5 ply 5/8" exterior plywood that received three coats of polyurethane resin on both sides and edges (no cloth) prior to covering with the carpeting. Stringers were rivited to the ribs that went from port to starboard along the bottom.

Unobstructed deck area between the forward and aft bench seats measured somewhere in the 30+ square feet range (5' X 6').

Other deck space improvements were added so that every, and I mean every square inch of area inside the rub rails was useable. Unfortunately I do not have any photos that I can post.

The design of your stringer (deck support) system will dictate the thickness of deck material. Starcraft, back in the 70's and 80', used only 1/2" plywood for their decking up to and including the 21' hulls. I am not absolutely certain, but I think even the 22' Starcraft I owned had 1/2' decking from the factory. Five ply (laminations) 5/8" plywood will make for a very solid deck surface with adequate supporting members.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts