Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throw the book at him ...

The Maryland Natural Resources Police charged a crab poacher in Queen Anne?s County and two illegal deer hunters in Allegany County in recent cases.

An Elkridge man was criminally charged on Monday with eight counts of poaching after he was caught stealing crabs from watermen?s fishing gear and other natural resources violations.

Raymond David Bosley, 45, was stopped by officers on routine patrol on the Chesapeake Bay on Oct. 12. A check of his recreational vessel turned up numerous crabs, but no crabbing gear.

An investigation determined that Bosley had removed crabs from commercial crab pots in the area.

Bosley was charged with two counts of theft, crabbing after hours, recreational possession of female crabs, two counts of using fishing gear belonging to another person and failure to have proper identification.

He is scheduled to appear in Queen Anne?s District Court on Dec. 2. The maximum fine for all charges is $7,000.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Throw the book at him ...

The Maryland Natural Resources Police charged a crab poacher in Queen Anne?s County and two illegal deer hunters in Allegany County in recent cases.

An Elkridge man was criminally charged on Monday with eight counts of poaching after he was caught stealing crabs from watermen?s fishing gear and other natural resources violations.

Raymond David Bosley, 45, was stopped by officers on routine patrol on the Chesapeake Bay on Oct. 12. A check of his recreational vessel turned up numerous crabs, but no crabbing gear.

An investigation determined that Bosley had removed crabs from commercial crab pots in the area.

Bosley was charged with two counts of theft, crabbing after hours, recreational possession of female crabs, two counts of using fishing gear belonging to another person and failure to have proper identification.

He is scheduled to appear in Queen Anne?s District Court on Dec. 2. The maximum fine for all charges is $7,000.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
I'd like to sit in on this case - and hear his lame excuse.

Pulling commercial pots - no way / shape / or form to do that by accident - or not knowing exact rules.

IMHO - fine should include reimbursement to the crabber (s).

Great job by DNR - seeing something not right with picture.

·
Registered
374 Posts
He'll get off with a fine.

Does anyone know why the DNR does not investigate the derelict pots scattered all over the bay. I see them all the time, they are very easy to spot. I wish they would hold the commercial crabbers accountable, deteriorating pots are bad for the bay

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Should post his picture so we all know what he looks like. The fine will be typical and he gets off easy. That picture is worth a thousand fines. Anyone seeing him will know what he does on the water.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Does anyone know why the DNR does not investigate the derelict pots scattered all over the bay. I see them all the time, they are very easy to spot. I wish they would hold the commercial crabbers accountable, deteriorating pots are bad for the bay
For the guy stealing crabs - what a low life - probably cost him more in fuel to steal the crabs then to buy them.
Grittywhale - First, I don't think any commercial crabber wants to lose any pots - that's money out of his pocket (pots are not cheap) so by no means is it intentional - Pots get caught in storms, on boats, and or simply float away on extreme tides it's in the nature of the business. Second, most commercial fisherman I know participate in the Ghost Pot collection program - in which they get paid per pot they collect. This program is mostly funded by their license fees and takes place during the transition from Oyster season and beginning of crab season when budgets are tight and expenses are many. Why? It's not the money, it's because they understand that Ghost Pots only hurt the crab population, are navigational hazards, and are plain trash. Third, the Ghost Pot collection policy in done in most coastal states from Maine to Texas has been very successful over many decades and is considered a good program. With all this said I suggest that they being held accountable and take action to correct the problem.
Seafood demand supports the commercial fisherman and they have lots of expenses, take lots of risk, and don't get extremely rich from there endeavors. Most are humble, trustworthy, hardworking, honest (accoutable) gentleman I am glad to call many of them friends and neighbors. The fact is that they are almost always accountable for their gear and DNR can't investigate the estimated 10 of thousands or so of Ghost Pots in Maryland Waters.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
This his post is about some scumbag stealing from the commercial guys. They get beat up enough here. I give them this one. This scumbag should be given the highest possible penalty. I don't understand why he doesn't get his boat taken away.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Dang - 8 charges filed! Go gettum.

Skip - court date as of now is:
Court Scheduling Information
Trial Date:
12/02/2015Trial Time:01:15 PMRoom:2
Trial Type:
TRIAL
Trial Location:
120 BROADWAY CENTREVILLE 21617-1092

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy is 45 yrs old, not a kid. I view it no differently than climbing on someone's boat and taking their fishing tackle, batteries or electronics. Makes you wonder how long he had gotten away with it.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Make him work for free on the boat(s) of the waterman he stole from!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Eastduck - thanks for the info, must not be paying the crabbers enough for the derelict gear because I see them everywhere I go, mostly fish the east side

Rhan427 - he could get jail time if they caught him red handed. I'm think he may have been caught with the crabs but not red handed hence the fine, might even get charges dropped with a good lawyer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts