Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were out on the Susquehanna today, on the Port Deposit side and 2 fillets Rockfish carcasses floated by. I guess it's only illegal if you get caught?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sunday morning DNR was up there checking boats just below the twin rocks. They spent a good bit of time hopping from boat to boat. I kinda wondered about the guys who decided it was time to leave and fish another spot just as the officers showed up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is it illegal to transport RF to closed waters? If not, it's possible the angles boated down and fished legal waters.
Once you keep a legal fish in legal waters, you cannot fish in closed waters with that fish in the box because there is no way to prove you didn't catch it in closed waters. The bigger issue here is that they must be brought to shore whole. You cannot fillet them on the water because there is no way to prove the fillets came off a legal size fish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Once you keep a legal fish in legal waters, you cannot fish in closed waters with that fish in the box because there is no way to prove you didn't catch it in closed waters. The bigger issue here is that they must be brought to shore whole. You cannot fillet them on the water because there is no way to prove the fillets came off a legal size fish.
Chris, Great point about fishing closed waters with a RF on boards. Regards to being brought to shore whole. I raised a flag last year after seeing pictures of mates on charters cleaning RF while under way. The sport fishing regulations clearly states striped bass must be landed whole. It also states ANY boat. I believe it was Vinny who corrected me and proved this didn't pertain to charters. I don't remember the details but I remember discussing regulations vs the law. Perhaps Vinny can once again provide the details?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought you were presumed innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. Did it change? Now you have to prove you're innocent?
Also very easily could have been filleted at the Perryville ramp by someone who had returned from legally fishing the flats, right?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It’s not a complex issue, I didn’t mean to use names. Anytime you jam some steel in a fish’s mouth and make it fight for it’s life it doesn’t go well for the fish. So, make you keep what you catch. If you don’t want to spend money to catch a 12 inch rock, don’t. It’s your choice and your money.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you don’t want to spend money to catch a 12 inch rock, don’t. It’s your choice and your money.
12 inches would not help. Most people that are fishing for RF to eat will toss that 12 inch fish back in the water and wait on the size they are looking for.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It’s not a complex issue, I didn’t mean to use names. Anytime you jam some steel in a fish’s mouth and make it fight for it’s life it doesn’t go well for the fish. So, make you keep what you catch. If you don’t want to spend money to catch a 12 inch rock, don’t. It’s your choice and your money.
So you can jam a piece of steel in a 12" fish but not a bigger one? You are less likely to throw back a 19" fish. Where do you get your rationale?

Mike

1 - 20 of 86 Posts