Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Isn’t that happening now, Mike?
Everybody is going to have an opinion on how to make it better. There will always be that person or persons who will do something completely legal but not favor of the end result. For example culling a 20" fish to maybe get a 24" fish while live-ling in the hot summer. So now they shut down certain weeks in the summer to lessen the impact. That only helps if mother nature coincides with the shut down. That didn't happen two years ago and there were a lot of dead keeper size fish floating down the bay. It wasn't illegal but not good for the fish.
When I'm fishing I take as much care as possible when handling fish whether kept or released. A 19" rockfish goes in my cooler because I may not get another one. A 19" is better than nothing.

Mike

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
A fish that is caught on bait and released isn't technically culled. It's still C&R.
It's not culled unless it's been kept and then thrown back later.

So the deep hooked fish that are thrown back immediately aren't actually a culled fish.
It sucks, but that's how it is.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A fish that is caught on bait and released isn't technically culled. It's still C&R.
It's not culled unless it's been kept and then thrown back later.

So the deep hooked fish that are thrown back immediately aren't actually a culled fish.
It sucks, but that's how it is.
And if it's only 18" you are required to release it gut hooked or not . You will not be able to argue that one with the DNR officer.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sunday morning DNR was up there checking boats just below the twin rocks. They spent a good bit of time hopping from boat to boat. I kinda wondered about the guys who decided it was time to leave and fish another spot just as the officers showed up.
They stopped by our boat and we chatted for a few minutes. I knew 2 of the 3 that were on the boat. They were just doing safety checks, didn't ask to open the cooler.
Is it illegal to transport RF to closed waters? If not, it's possible the angles boated down and fished legal waters.
It's possible I guess, but those fish were VERY fresh, like maybe an hour dead.

I thought you were presumed innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. Did it change? Now you have to prove you're innocent?
Also very easily could have been filleted at the Perryville ramp by someone who had returned from legally fishing the flats, right?
Perryville is way below where I saw the carcasses.
What are the fines for an illegal RF fish compared to an illegal Blue?
Same for both as far as I know. I don't actively fish for them, if I get one, it's a bonus.

Anyhoo, they really stirred the water up yesterday too with putting more generators online. It's probably worse now with the storms last night.

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
A charter captain is allowed to filet the striper at sea but must retain the carcass. When MD season closes in December, you can still fish in VA or Potomac River. If you have a striper caught in VA or Potomac, you may not fish in MD waters, only return to the dock...As far as keeping a 19" striper, there's hardly enough meat on it to make a meal..........Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Longtail does alot of fishing. His main stopping grounds is tidalfish. Don't bite, he doesn't catch.
And I'd like to thank you for not quoting him since I have him binned.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
In 1995 we ran off and got married in The Keys. There were Cubans camping on every bridge keeping everything they caught. I got into it with a Florida game warden when he insinuated that I was the one that had killed several moray eels. Then proceeds to tell me that there's nothing he can do. I said that you could call INS. I was not amused.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Violator's list rec and comm
Looks like a LOT of oyster poaching going on. The worst part is I know 2 of those clowns. No need to worry about me going for oysters, I don't eat the nasty assed things. Like my buddy's dad said, "I don't eat the bait."

• Haha
Reactions: dban520
21 - 40 of 86 Posts