Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a terrible day trip (rough water and a lost cutting board) to Hart-Miller island yesterday, I wanted to get out fishing today. Convinced my wife to go with me because I just don't like the idea of going out alone. We got a much later start than I had planned and do not get on the water until about 1:00. Start the boat and remember I need fuel, so we run up the Magothy to Fairwinds and now we are ready to fish. My wife doesn't like the sometimes slow waiting game that comes with chumming, so we decide to bottom fish in 20' of water somewhere halfway between Baltimore and Sandy Point light. Before putting some bloodworms over, I decided to throw out the normal chumming spread (4 rods with cut alewife) and before I even get the fourth rod in, the first one goes down. A quick grab of the rod and a set of the hook and the drag is screaming...this only means one thing, SKATE! After a few minute fight we bring the skate along the gunwale and cut the hook below the fish finder rig. We finally get the bottom rigs over and we begin a slow catch of medium sized white perch and even a few very small rockfish. We had 6:00 dinner plans back at the marina, so I start to feel anxious for a few bigger fish around 4:30, so we pull the rods and head a little deeper. Now in 30 feet of water, I put the chum over and get the chumming spread out. Not five minutes in, we are hooked up. We boat the fish, give it a quick measure and darn it, 19 inches. Back in the water it went. A few minutes later a little more agressive knockdown. This one put up a bit more fight and I know it's a keeper. Now, we have a 24 incher for dinner. Now it is a little past 5:00 and my wife is growing anxious for our dinner plans, but like any good fisherman, I knew we had time to check all the lines and put on some fresh bait. We get three rods in and baits switched and then another knockdown. My wife grabs the rod and out goes the drag, another skate. She fought for a minute or two and then handed it over to me. This was a big one and kept stripping the drag, I couldn't make up any ground on this one. So, I make the (unwise) decision to tighten down the drag a bit to speed things up. Then my rod snaps just above the first eye. This made the fight a little more interesting, but I finally get the tip back and then I am able to cut the hook. That wraps up my evening trip, now we hustle back to the marina for dinner. All in all a great weekend on the water even with the lost cutting board and broken rod.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the report cmp8254. We bottom fished that same area on Friday looking for spot. We ended up catching a variety of fish. One spot, a few small bluefish, a few perch, and a load of small rockfish.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good report....I've always said if ya ain't bustin something or losing something it just aint a real trip...now, if I can just get this bail back onto my reel I'll be good to go...dancedance

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Those cownose rays are real tackle busters - as you found out.

Congrats on getting dinner on limited time frame.

·
Registered
236 Posts
cmp8254, I responded to your PM, what I picked was not a MAGMA cutting board. I looked up Magma cutting boards online, those things look great. I see now what a terrible day you had!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
That was quite the adventure! Everyone should catch one cow nose ray in their life; I wouldn't wish a second one on anyone. Thanks for posting, and I'm glad that you got some meat to take home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts