Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little poison Ivy on my wrist a couple of days ago when putting up my ladder stands. I'm set up in some really thick stuff, and there's lot's of deer in this area. When I went out to hunt this morning, I got on my ladder and grabbed the tree to pass my body harness tether around it. Seems that there was this poison Ivy vine that had enveloped the trunk of the tree, and I had never noticed it (kind of hard when it's dark).

Anyway, I was in the tree for about 4 hours, seen one fawn that I could've arrowed, but I let her walk. Seem two healthy does, one was out of range, and the other doe ALMOST walked straight into my ambush; but she disappeared in a thicket. Last night was a full moon, the hunting will get much better when the new moon appears.

Well, now I am sitting here drinking a beer, and watch blisters appear and burst on my right wrist and forearm, what fun. I've had this **** before, if I'm lazy about it, it usually takes about twenty one days for it to go away. A little concern that I have is the left side of my face, I think I may have wiped my face off with my hands and transferred some of the urushiol oil from the Ivy to that as well.

Beer, Benadryl, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. That's the ticket. Man, this chit ITCHES....

Watch out for that stuff....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hope you didn't take a leak back at the truck before heading home!!!! Been there done that. If I had had a digital camera back then, it would have been a photo op! Went to the Dr, had to at least show someone!

Good luck.

Dayton

·
Registered
253 Posts
vinager and rubbing alcohol will not stop the ivy and will actually make it worse. What you need to do is by this stuff by a company called Tecnu. The product is poison ivy wash. You can either put it on before going to the woods (not recommneded when bow hunting) or use it as soon as you get in to wash off. I keep a bottle in the shower and wash off after every trip to the woods.

I've had bad outbreaks of ivy and actually been put in the hospital once. SInce using the ivy wash, I rarely ever get poison ivy.

Seriously, do not ever use bleach, gas, alcohol or any of the other "folk remedies" They only irratate the skin and make the rash worse.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ranger,

call your doctor and ask for stuff called "ultravate". hands down, the best stuff out there. stops the itching immediately and rash will be gone in a day or two.

just remember to use very little. one little dap goes a long way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was advised on another board to get this stuff called Zanfel, it's like $34.oo for a one ounce tube. Picked it up at Walmart, and it seems to have greatly helped in stopping the itch and reducing the rash. I also went to the Doc yesterday and was given a prescription for Medro, or Methylprednisolone (whatever the heck that is) and I am supposed to take all six pill's tonight, five tomorrow, four the next day, etc...

While I was at CVS, I saw the other stuff that you all have mentioned.....

The travesty of all this is that I am going to still hunt from the same ladder stand that's enveloped in this this stuff. Last time I hunted (Saturday), I just about cleared all of the foliage away that I needed for clear shooting lanes. As long as I don't touch nothing suspect, I should be OK.

I plan to use a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol to wipe down the ladder as I climb it, to get rid of any Urushiol oils that may still be adhered to the ladder itself. Once the alcohol drys, to you think that it would spook any deer that would catch a whiff of it?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
702 Posts
The alcohol will evaporate quickly, don't worry about it, have a good sit and watch the sun come up. I'm leaving for my stand right now, matter of fact. It's a whole 150 yard walk behind the house. Tell ya one thing though. The dark root of poison ivy that clings to the sides of trees, that fuzzy ****. You don't need to touch it. If it's air born and you breath the spore, you'll never get rid of it. I get that **** from just looking at it, the older I get the easier I get it. Have a good hunt, and quit that scracthing..[grin]T.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think i know the pills that the doctor gave you for the ivy but make sure you take all of the pills. This stuff is a strong steroid and you need to take all of the pills to withdrawl from the stuff. I had a bad case a few years ago and the rash went away very fast when I was only half way through the dose so I stopped taking it so that I could save it for the next time I got it. Well a few days later I felt like I was ****** razor blades. I went back to the doctor and the first thing he asked was if I took all of the medication and I told him no. He stated that I was going through some sort of withdrawl caused by stopping the medication midway. All I can say is that it wasn't that much fun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you got the Medrol dose pack, 6 pills, then 5, etc.,you'll also eat everything in sight. 6-8 candy bars for breakfast, no problem. And talk about getting pissed off quick. I took it for lower back, disc problems for 1 month. Gained 10 pounds, wife moved out for a week. Doc sez it affects people differently, but I'd get pissed off at the slightest little thing. Maybe that's why those pro football players are so big and nasty, steroids..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmm... I'd better drink lot's water then. I saw the list of side effects, one was psychotic behavior [grin]
Well, I'd be psychotic either with the poison ivy symptoms, or the medicine to cure it. What is one to do? [excited]

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.