Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Poly slides seem to be wearing out on my trailer making it more difficult to launch and retrieve boat. Has anyone had success using a silicone spray or similar product on Poly slides to relieve this issue? I wanted to know if there was an easy solution before purchasing and mounting new slides.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Buy some plastic strips for bunk trailers. They're plastic strips you screw into your bunks after you launch . Your boat will slide off like it was on ice.It's not the same plastic that come with bunk trailers ...... Boating equiptment stores carry them. They come in packs of 2 ft. lengths with stainless screws that are easily installed at the ramp with a battery operated drill .You'll need a drill bit and screw driver bit . It took me about 20min. to install them at Lapidum boat ramp a few years ago. Measure your bunk lengths then buy the size kit that has the right amount of pieces you need.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Total Plastics on Pulasky Hwy in Rosedale will cut you HPDE (cutting board material) its so slippery only special glues will stick to it comes in all thicknesses even colors if you want

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks Sparkplug. Am engineering a new cover for my livewell and could not remember the name of Total Plastics. Been by it a hundred times and was working on a web search trying to find it but for the life me was coming up with a brainfart. Got it bookmarked now ;-)

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
For anyone else that is interested in an easy on/ off bunk system. This is what they look like . There are many brands.I bought mine at West Marine as a kit because they were close, have recessed screw holes for the stainless screws that come with them and are ready to install without retrofitting. The kits were less expensive than these prices.. Check your options. www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html Let us know how you're slides from total plastics worked out Dave.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
I have to tie off my 20 ftr. to the winch post before I remove the winch strap and safety chain or the boat will fly off on my 5 starr roller trailer. No pushing the boat off at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Capt. Nick, the Surfixinc slides look like a better option than the 1/8 inch thick poly slides provided by the local trailer dealer.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Bar of Ivory soap or any other CHEAP soap works..

I used to tick off my mom and steal the soap when I was a Kid.

TED

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Bar of Ivory soap or any other CHEAP soap works..

I used to tick off my mom and steal the soap when I was a Kid.

TED
I can easily understand just using a lubricant like soap etc. because it is easy and economical, but does it have to be reapplied after every use? It would seem it would melt off once the trailer is dipped in the water?

·
Registered
167 Posts
surfix are great. don't unstrap too early though. boat will slide. order direct from sufix, last time I checked the amazon price was not working correctly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for that source, Capt. Nick
For anyone else that is interested in an easy on/ off bunk system. This is what they look like . There are many brands.I bought mine at West Marine as a kit because they were close, have recessed screw holes for the stainless screws that come with them and are ready to install without retrofitting. The kits were less expensive than these prices.. Check your options. www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html Let us know how you're slides from total plastics worked out Dave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts