Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All:
Left late around 09:00. Went to 65 feet and hit a reef. NADA, except for sme lizard fish. UGH.
Stoped at the inlet mouth(south side) hit a mess of winter flounder on DOORMATTTER EXPRESS RIGS using squid strips(can't get Mack strips yet) and live KILLIES. My buddy got his using standard DOORMATTER rigs using Squid strips and Mullet strips. Not bad .
Went out to 65 feet. Found some grunts, lizardfish and others. Had my 40 pound stick bend over and banged away at at good sized fish. Got it up to about 30 feet and it started doing circles under the baot. Got it a bit closer and just started to see color. BANG the Hook pulleedAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Never saw the fish. Could have been a shark or even a reef donkey. Who knows?
Tried again on Saturday but the wind was awfull. Got out, got a Mahi and went back in . BEATUP but was worth it.
Hope you all did better. I'm out again this WEdnesday. Let u all know how I did.
WACKM N STACKM
Custom saltwater fishing tackle & tips for sportfishing, trolling and bottom fishing.
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Joe!
Thanks for the report. I drove down to the boat ramp on Saturday and Sunday looking for some intel. Mostly empty fish boxes from the guys fishing out to 15 miles. The Halifax river and surrounding mangroves are holding some nice Reds. Two weeks ago I was way back in the mangroves and there were fish everywhere. The Flounder fishing is HOT right now along the channel drop offs and in Ponce Inlet. Many large fish have been caught in skinny water on fly rods and on our style of lures. Live Mullet is the bait of choice among the successful. I am moving down to Port St. John from Port Orange in 2 weeks and we will have to get together and go exploring. Maybe we can wack and stack a few in the near future.

Pete

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
I'll bet you didn't have to go far offshore to get into good action like that either?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts