Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200 Johnson ocean pro 2cy that when it's cold starts up right away but if I set a drift and shut down the motor and need to start it back up say 20min later I have a hard time getting to start. I have tried to prime the bulb, tried the choke and no difference. Also the starter seems to only turn the motor a few cranks and then disengauge. I never have this problem when it's cold either. ANY THOUGHTS???:fishing2:

TED

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Okay, nobody stepped up. What do the plugs look like? In simple terms the starter disengages because the crank speed is fast enough that the plugs should have fired. I'm leaning towards a bad plug or cable on this one. Disclaimer, I'm a Merc person. With the onset of cool weather the engine cools down fast. There's a fine line between choke and flooding - mine is a PIA. Pulling the plugs immediately will tell you what going on.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight. I just had the plugs replaced in the start of the season and it's been going on all year. Just a thought one time I tilted the engine up to the trailer position ( I don't know why I did but I did) and then back down right away and vola it started with out a problem. Did that DO anything I don't know maybe just luck, I have not had the chance to repeat the procedure since.

TED

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Could be a Carb. leaking down causing a slight flooding condition also.Try opening the Throttle up the next time it happens and see if it starts any faster.This will help clear excess Fuel out ..."IF"... it is a slightly flooded condition.

·
Registered
993 Posts
When you go to restart, are you pushing in the key? If you have a primer valve and not a choke, you can be flooding the engine. Try restarting by turning the key without pushing it in. As far as the bendix not staying engaged, OMC motors like full voltage. As Bob H said, you could have a voltage problem too. How old at the positive and negative cables that connect to the engine? You may want to change them. I had that problem with a four year old Yamaha. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You say the starter becomes disengaged. Does it sound like the starter is cranking the engine as fast as when the engine is cold as when the engine is hot. If it isn't spinning
as fast you need a dc amp probe and see how many amps it is drawing cold and hot. Also you will have to check the voltage of the electrical system and all the connections.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think out of habbit I am pushing in the KEY. I thought this would only choke the start and not flood the engine, is that correct?? When it does not start I try NOT pushing in the key and still nothing, but did I already flood it? 2nd the starter will crank the engine just as fast as when it's cold but disengages with a slow whineing sound eventhough I am still holding the key in the start position.

Afterthought: If I held the throttle wide open as L.R. suggested would I not be flooding the engine that much more??

Thanks in advance
TED

·
Registered
296 Posts
no, holding the throttle wide open [warm up lever] will not flood the mtr. it will actually clear it out, if it is flooded ,if you over choke it by accident. try this next time, after the mtr; is warmed up and has been shut down and you go to re-start DON'T push in the key just try to crank it up, if it doesn,t fire-up lift the warm-up all the way up try to fire it up again without pushing in the key, [be ready to push warm up lever down quickly if starts] if mtr; still does not start leave lever up and while cranking mtr over THEN PUSH IN KEY TO CHOKE MTR BUT JUST FOR A SECOUND OR TWO NO LONGER, and be ready to push warm up lever down quickly. i don't understand, johnson's i had always started rite up, hot or cold. good luck in finding the mtr's touch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts