Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think brandon is messing with the site. the top of the page looks different.....less cluttered more professional?

brandon, before you depart for costa rica for the holidays please get rid of the chevy people.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't think you will see them go away. They are making money. They really slow the site down though, I hate them and all the paid advertisements on each post.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Just started seeing that BS today. Keeping hearing these voices and was wondering maybe I needed a vacation or something. Going to be a long winter if these keep up.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chawk...............i'm a puss when it comes to computer stuff. i'm sure you are correct, but i'm trained on IE. believe me i have taken baby steps on using the computer. every time i try and change something ............the XXXXhits the fan.

never got these pop ups until today......................brandon where is your geek on this.

ok.........just switched pop blocker to high..........hope it works

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Capt. Deering --- Remove Tidal Fish from your sites listing that allow pop ups (Tools/PopUp Blocker/Settings....scroll through allowed sites and find TidalFish...hit Remove button). I just did this and will hope it works. Only downside will be when you have a PM; I don't think it will open it in a separate window as I think this is a type of pop-up.

Nope that doesn't work either...guess they aren't technically pop-ups; must be pop-ons.....aaaarrrggghhh!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Capt. Deering --- Remove Tidal Fish from your sites listing that allow pop ups (Tools/PopUp Blocker/Settings....scroll through allowed sites and find TidalFish...hit Remove button). I just did this and will hope it works. Only downside will be when you have a PM; I don't think it will open it in a separate window as I think this is a type of pop-up.

Nope that doesn't work either...guess they aren't technically pop-ups; must be pop-ons.....aaaarrrggghhh!
these are java script enabled flash objects you gotta disable java script

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
marcus: what is JS, i got it on on opera after a google. hunter. i did what you said....tf not listed.

this only started today................brandon is messing around.

·
Registered
992 Posts
marcus: what is JS, i got it on on opera after a google. hunter. i did what you said....tf not listed.

this only started today................brandon is messing around.
JS is java script basically a client side scripting language that many sites use to add functionality to your browsing experience. are you using opera 11 or opera 10.6? opera 11 which is beta blocks it by default.....
link to opera 11
http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Web advertising is never going away - everyone who runs a web site has expenses - and everyone wants to make money.

That said - I wouldn't mind if the ad only played once per visit - - but currently the same Chevy ad "re-pops-up" about every 5 minutes on my PC - now THAT is annoying.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
We've been working on the site today to change the ad scripts to make them faster because they were slowing down the site a bit, although from all testing the site is loading much faster then it ever has with some changes we've made. I've tested it from all over the country in my travels the last few weeks including a second world country and it has loaded quite fast everywhere.

Subscribers do see less ads then others. I understand not wanting to see ads and I appreciate each and every subscriber's support. The bottom line is that subscriptions alone are not offsetting the cost to run this place and I've commented several times that TidalFish.com is a hobby for me and it needs to break even. With out the money from some ads the place can not pay for itself and if it can not pay for itself then its hard to keep things up and running. I'd say TidalFish.com has a lot less ads then many sites and I've kept it like that on purpose. Having a few ads I do not think is a bad thing and I've tried not to make them intrusive. Yes one may show up in the first post and last of a thread, but that is it, none in middle and not on every thread. If you're not a subscriber I'd hope you'd be OK seeing a few ads in exchange for having a good platform where you can get good information, make friends and interact with a really good group of anglers and people. If you are a subscriber I've set it up so you do see less ads. The controls we have in our back end are not perfect and I am trying to get some better controls so subscribers see even less.

Thanks for all support!
Brandon

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
PS I did just catch that Chevy ad in the lower right hand corner when I am logged in, THAT AD IS NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOW FOR SUBSCRIBERS OR REGISTERED USERS. Clearly there is something wrong, I'll get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Shawn

No one is "f^^ing" up a good site. We are not adding any more ads then have been on here for the last few months. What people are talking about is they are seeing more today and I said they are because something is messed up we are working on it. We've been working on the site all day as I explained above and something went screwy, WE ARE FIXING IT!
Thx
Brandon

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Didn't mean to sound critical, Brandon. I'm a big fan and supporter of Tidal FIsh. I just meant that there's a fine line between what is too much advertising. I'm glad to hear you are working on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts