Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I went out Friday and Saturday evening to find the fish. I haven't been out much this year so I didn't really know where the fish were. I figured they'd be moving shallow with the water cooling so we hit some topwater/shallow water spots. Couldn't find much going on so we moved again, this time heading to the rocks around the northern/western side of Poplar Island.

I was a little nervous having never fished that close to the rocks before. I kept worrying that there would be a big rock pile off the shore 75 feet and I'd be in trouble! :helpsmilie:

Well, we didn't find any real rocks luckily but we did find rockfish! And nice ones! My brother hooked up with the fattest 29" rock I've seen on topwater. It was an awesome fight in shallow water on light tackle!!! The coolest thing was when the fish was coming in, there were about 20 other fish swimming with him (all just as big!!!). :bigfish: We just couldn't find that school again though!!!

We caught a real nice fish like that each day and then caught some other keepers as well (but not as big). We had steady action with smaller blues and rocks and then every once in a while a keeper rock. It was fun to say the least as we were throwing topwater. It was a great time with my brother (even though he outcaught me 2 to 1 this weekend).

Sunday I took my mom and step dad out. They're great at bottom fishing so that's what we did most of the day. We saved the spot and ran over to Poplar in the evening but I did a poor job of time management and didn't leave enough time to anchor up and liveline on the shelf so back to the rocks we went. This was even more tricky with two people not so great at casting (that's putting it mildly).

All of a sudden my step-dad says "rock", and points to the water a few feet away. I yell at my mom to toss her spot over to it hoping it couldn't resist the live bait. Then I looked and it wasn't a fish, it was a huge boulder, A REAL ROCK!!! My fears from the previous days came true. I yelled at them to real in, threw my rod down, ran and fired up the motors and back away JUST IN TIME TO MISS THE ROCK! Wow, that was too close. I marked the location (it's on the northeast corner, there are some rocks that are easy to see but others that are just a foot or two under the water).
I called it a day and ran home as the sun was setting. It was certainly a beautiful day as the water was a sheet of glass. Good times with the family, can't beat that.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Good report, DJ. The only off-shore rocks I've found are on the north and northeast side of the island. I went out after that last tropical storm when the tide was lowest to mark them. Those rocks are in 8' and come up to the surface or just below. Perfect top-water fishing this time of year, but VERY DANGEROUS. I could've missed something, so I'm always careful. As you probably know, there is a visible breakwater on the channel side which can be submerged on the highest tides. You can actually get around behind that one. It gets a lot of current. Sounds like you found some good fish. Shallow casting is the game right now!

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
good post and warning.

shaun is correct, their are two sets of rocks on the N/NE of the island. i should have marked them on the gps. they look like a school of skate. i thought they were further off than 8', because i was running the boat and guys were casting and we were further away than 8', but shaun you could be correct.

be practice for me in the future will be not to fish that area, unless i can clearly see the boulders at low tide. after all..........it is structure.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Sorry, Cap'n. I shoulda been more clear. I meant the water around them is 8' deep. You're right, they're a good 50' or more offshore. Mean and jagged rocks too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great job on the rockfish! Thanks for the info on the submerged rocks. I like to fish the shallows of Poplar too. I have been fishing the NW, W, and South sides of the island. Have not seen any boulders in my drifts, but that dose not mean they are not there. Managed to pull a good size striper out of there last week. Great to hear that his friends are there too!!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Those rocks were put there to be ice breakers but I do not understand why they are not marked. A simple piling would be fine.Anything to warn boaters/ fishermen about them.

Lenny Rudow described them in detail in his book about fishing the Chesapeake. Saved me from finding them the hard way :eek:.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
They are marked with a piling and a sign "Danger Submerged Jetty." Problem is, the sign is back around on the east side and the rocks keep going well away from it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sherry... I'm glad I missed the biggest rock of the day too!!!

Shawn... It was on the Northeast side, in 8' of water, just like said.

Cap'n... There were more rocks further away that were close to the surface enough that they were effecting what the waves/current was doing, I knew those had to be rocks near the surface but this one was a lone rock by itself in 8' of water. That group of rocks in the surface definitely could look like a school of rays or fish depending up the water conditions though.

hdrunk... His friends were definitely there. We just couldn't find them again. Must have been 20-25 fish all around 30". It was amazing.

Skip... There was a piling about 50-65 yards away but no where near this lone rock. The piling was a closer to a group of subsurface rocks that were on the northeast corner of the island (see comment to Cap'n John). The rock I almost hit could defintely use a warning buoy or piling or something!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shawn,

Exactly. Coming from the west, you'd drive over the rocks well before you could read what the piling said.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well guy's, I have known those rocks for years, they extend well away from the warning pilings, and they hold some awsome fish some times. They were one of the go to fly fishing spots when I fished guided by Cptn. Gary Nietzy. I was there last WED. in the 15to 20KT. winds when ,due to the wind, I said hello to one pod of rocks while trying to avoid it with my remote controlled Minnkota! They wind just scooted the boat right to them! Well I straightened the prop, and now am attempting my first gelcoat repair. Ouch!!! Be care full of them, they are not marked properly, and the declining water quality over the last 5 years has not helped seeing them any better!:cool2:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like a bad deal.

Is it worth adding their location to my GPS? If so, anybody have them?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Those rocks have scared the hell out of me a few times in the past too. I always end up convincing myself that "There's no way those boulders are this far away from the island." Then, I see them about two feet off the bow and realize how wrong I am.

I'm usually in such a hurry to fire up the engine and avoid them, I never manage to get a GPS spot marked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whalen... that really sucks... I was worried I'd be doing the same

I was able to mark the spot (at least close to the spot) with a waypoint. I guess I'll just stay further off the shore in that area. It is a sweet area that definitely holds some nice fish!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
That area is most dangerous when there is no current. If there is current and you see what looks like a rip stay well outside of it.

Sorry about the boat Whalen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts