Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I herd that popping corks work great while fishing grassy banks for specks, but ive nver used them. I would like to use some new methods because i have not be having much luck latley(for specks) and there are some great grassy areas within coves near my house wear i have caught many pups. if anyone has any info or advice i would love it. :helpsmilie:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I fished them in the flats down in FL. They worked great with a jighead rigged with shrimp or gulp baits. Good luck

·
Registered
612 Posts
Popping corks: Oh yeah. I fish mostly around the peninsula, and I'll use popping corks on the Poquoson Flats or lower James. I'll tend to use them on the flats with relatively low current; if we are fishing a drop off or hard current, I generally do not use them.
My personal preference is the large cajun thunder. We'll use 2-3' drops to plastic or live shrimp, Gulps or live bait. The only drawback to the cajun thunder is it cuts down on casting distance significantly, so if we'll switch to weighted popping corks with no slide if we need more distance (clear water or wind).
We fished the lower Mobjack late last weekend and came up empty on specks, but their are plenty of rock. Lower james: same deal, only add a few reds. The specks seems to have made an early exit from their northern haunts; too much sustained north-east winds pushed them and the cobes out; but you never know with specks; they may show up tomorrow!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't overlook Topwaters, if you are an accurate caster, get them up close to the grass, let them sit for a few seconds then work them back to you.

My favorite "popping cork" is called "The Equalizer", it makes a good bit of noise.

I've had more Speck good fortune with a 1/8, 1/4, or, 3/8 oz jighead with the right soft plastic bait depending on water condition. Clear water, dark bait (strawberry, grape, motor oil), dirty water any shade of white or glow.

Try to find long shank jig head hooks, they really help cure the short bite issues. Sharpen hooks ALOT, re-tie your jig head ALOT.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fished a DOA shrimp under a popping cork (cajun thunder) for a few hours around some grassy shallows in Matthews this past Sunday. No luck. Did hook into something big on my gulp swimming mullet though (No popping cork). Felt pretty hefty for a few head shakes then it came loose. I suspect it was a nice puppy drum. In-shore fishermen south of us through the carolinas to florida swear by the popping cork/shrimp combo for specks...I do not see many of the larger white shrimp in the shallows I fish here in VA..I have seen way more of these shrimp in the shallows I have spent time in around Charleston SC though...Most of the shrimp I see around here are the smaller grass shrimp.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Late September, 2006, north end of Poquoson Flats, incoming tide, late afternoon, fishing 5'water on drop-off from 3':
My buddy Mike, who's a 3/8oz jig purist, is using a large cajun thunder , 2' drop to a jig with 2 tenticles and a DOA plastic shrimp, he's blasting specks. I'm throwing a 1/4 ounce jig with a green Trout Magic paddletail, catching an occasional trout. I switch to a 52MR 808 Mirrolure, catch an occasional trout (including biggest of day), but he's still blasting them. I say, "Dude, what's with the hardware you're throwing tonight; I can't even look at that sh$%. I can't believe you could bring yourself to putting all that **** on the end of your line." He replies, "Shut the F^&* up and net this trout for me"...
I'm dumb, but I'm not that dumb. I can't stand getting my butt kicked like that, and I've been a big believer ever since. They work, especially on a slow bite.

·
Registered
486 Posts
oh let me add... on the shore i use a 5 inch opening nite BA or a gulp minnow under a bobber the more expensive thunder and paradise with brass rattles work best for me ... while down in the Pamlico Sound Shrimp or gulp shrimp are DEADLY....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.