Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for flats that I can reach by the Yak. I paddled out of Poquoson Creek this past January and was thinking of heading back there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to begin on the flats out there or if it is even worth the paddle out? I am looking for anything that will bite but it is sure fun to catch the Puppy’s and Stripers. Thanks

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Do not knw where you are located and where Poquoson Creek is located. I live in Tabb just outside of Poquoson and fish Poquoson Flats (south end) leaving out of Messick Point and the marshlands.

Today we paddled out of Renn's Road and up into Lloyd's Bay. We did not catch ony puppy drum. but did get stripers to about 21 or 22 inches on light tackle (6 and 8 pound test).

Both trips are about a two mile paddle. It can be productive.

Today we caught flounder, croaker, and striped bass. There were fish breaking all around us in about two feet of water, but we could not get a taker.

I think your question was "Is it worth the paddle?". I think so, but it also depends on what you're looking to get out of a day of paddling. I think it's worth it and so do the couple of guys I go with. It will certainly get you away from the power boats for the most part once you're there.

Today we were catching flounder and croaker and a 14 foot jon boat came thru where we were and they had to put their engine up and get out of the boat to walk it thru. Funny, because they were headed "someplace else" to catch fish.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Yes, there's a public ramp and a pay ramp at the restaurant. I've heard that the property around the ramps has been sold. Hopefully this will not further limit access to the water for the public. So much land is being sold today for condos........... [sad]

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thank you for the info.
Yes with the prices for real estate now a days it's kind of tempting to sell out and reap a big profit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all,
I will probably give it a shot in a week or 2. Sorry for a slow response. I was in Kentucky at a Wedding. There is no salt water there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fished up there this past sunday and all i managed to get was a croker. Launced out of a ramp off of Big Betherl road. Three other guys with me and between all of us only caught three crokers.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]markbob originally wrote:
I fished up there this past sunday and all i managed to get was a croker. Launced out of a ramp off of Big Betherl road. Three other guys with me and between all of us only caught three crokers.
[/Q]
Once launched where did you fish?

BTW, The launch area I used is no where near the TIde Mill ramp you launched from.

·
Registered
22 Posts
started around an old dock next to the ramp, thats where I caught my fish, biggest of the day. continued around the grass line of the cove then out to the small grass point then down river to a large open area near some duck blinds and back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts