Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Poquoson off an on last week. Got about 10 fish over the side. 5 keeper reds and some other random fish - croaker, rays, etc.

Fished the Goodwin Islands for the first time as well. No idea where to go, so we fished the coves on the Bay side and all around the very last island at the tip. The cut just before the last island looked promising with lots of moving water, but no dice. We did see a ton of rays, but that's about it.

On the way in, I noticed a few boats fishing the shore I circled here. Maybe that's a more productive area. Anyone have any insight?
pjimage.jpg Goodwin Islands.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cool pictures and some nice reds there! That's fun catching croakers on gulp jigs, tricky suckers love to chew the tails off. Could be vims you saw working around there, that whole island is used for research

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
The circled area isn't worth it, the middle sandy point on bay side you can fish either side but don't get too close as it's very shallow quite a ways away from shore and there are a few specs around now and more and more as the summer goes on and into early fall. If you can see grass on the bottom you are in good shape, sandy bottom not so good, specs and reds like to feed around the grass that's holding bait. East tip hit and miss. Fish sunrise and sunset and couple hours after and before. Popping corks work or spec lures. Grafton Fishing Supply can hook you up, ask for Mark.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The circled area isn't worth it, the middle sandy point on bay side you can fish either side but don't get too close as it's very shallow quite a ways away from shore and there are a few specs around now and more and more as the summer goes on and into early fall. If you can see grass on the bottom you are in good shape, sandy bottom not so good, specs and reds like to feed around the grass that's holding bait. East tip hit and miss. Fish sunrise and sunset and couple hours after and before. Popping corks work or spec lures. Grafton Fishing Supply can hook you up, ask for Mark.
I appreciate this! Looks super fishy and it's close by. I don't want to waste my time fishing if there's little there, but dont want to pass it up either.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I have always found that good spot for puppy drum is a current running parallel to the shore, near a high tide, ideally with oyster shells up to the shore line and a pretty sharp drop off to at least 2 feet of water.

I wonder if folks were clamming where you circled on the image?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts