Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working for a few more months here in VA. Living 10 minutes from the Poquoson boat ramp so I pulled my boat from Texas here (17' alumnacraft tunnel hull 60 4 stroke yamaha etc.).

In Galveston TX, if conditions are right, I always wade the surf for specks/redfish. If water is muddy in the surf I hit the bays. Typically motor to the flats then hop out (wading)and fish the guts with topwaters, saltwater assassins, or live shrimp under a popping cork.

Have fished for redfish/specs my entire life. Im feeling kinda lost here though and would like to ask a few questions if you do not mind. Keep in mind I have not launched the boat once yet.

Are topwaters, saltwater assassins and live shrimp used in VA as prime lures/bait?

Are there any maps that you would suggest?

Are there any areas around the Poquoson ramp that you would suggest?

If anyone lives right around the launch off merrick and knows that area of the bay I would consider meeting up and going fishing.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ripmonster,

I fish Poquoson flats quite a bit. I livehere in Poquoson. The fishing there is good at times but probably not what your used to in Texas. I use a lot of artificials. you might check out the Virginia Angler board for more info. Yoy can E-mail if you like at [email protected]

Tim

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Army Corps of Engineers just closed Poquoson Flats (Drum Island Flats actually) to folks getting out of their boats and for getting too close to shore due to the recent series of storms over the last couple of years. These storms have exposed unnexploded ordnance.

Fine is $500.

Interesting that even though recreationals cannot get out of their boats or go too close to shore, commercials can haul seine, carb and whatever without a problem. I guess that posts driven into the ground and anchors won't set off ordnance but a 3/8 oz leadhead with a grub will........... [sad]

interesting concept............. Be careful out there roaming around outside of your boat. [excited]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts