Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished Port Deposit Marina Park bankside Saturday 6AM-6PM. Lots of anglers and boats launched. All day saw only ONE smallish channel cat landed...not a bankside peep or saw any boat action. Nearly ALL fishing action appeared nonexistant...

On my part, I did pretty good with a bit over 80 lbs of carp...17lbs being the largest; 11 lbs being smallest for some fantastic armbusting pullage. Home made corn-anise doughbait did the trick:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
King Carp

Fished Port Deposit Marina Park bankside Saturday 6AM-6PM. Lots of anglers and boats launched. All day saw only ONE smallish channel cat landed...not a bankside peep or saw any boat action. Nearly ALL fishing action appeared nonexistant...

On my part, I did pretty good with a bit over 80 lbs of carp...17lbs being the largest; 11 lbs being smallest for some fantastic armbusting pullage. Home made corn-anise doughbait did the trick:thumbup:
--After leaving the Joys of fresh water, 45 years ago the picture of the carp , brought plesant momories of Fly Fishing Goose Creek in Va.--Bass popping bugs casted durring the Locust Hatches produced monsters as well as great Fallfish action --

--The pressures of Charter fishing, are tempered in my mind by the thoughts , of cane poles , fly rods , & wading creeks & rivers with keen Expection of the riffle gurgling around the bend --Thanks --geo.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope...no CAG folks there because I pulled/cancelled it from the Club schedule (as with the rest of the Series) 'cause I don't belong there and e-mailed folks that had PM'd me so they were notifed. The pier/banks were very crowded and lots of casual anglers with carp questions so they got some carpin' lessons and see some nice fish from my 'ol fishing hole.

I would have topped the 100 lb mark but lost a few early fish due to poor-playing and getting used to some new gear. It was a gorgeous day, the river was beautiful emerald green and clear, current running nice, the Susky River fish fought like nothing I'd felt before...the 'teens had my 2.75/3 lb test rods doubles over in many instances. Not bad for such cold water...they musta like my Hi-Vis green line and dough bait...you can see and smell that stuff a mile away:eek2: :yes:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caught my first carp last Thursday actually fishing for trout in Howard's Pond with canned corn and a ultra lite. 3 fish all 5# or above and had a blast!
Lance
Those fish will put a hurtin' on ultra light gear and get that rod singing a sweet tune, eh Lance? Add some current to build-up the carp musculature and its Katie-bar-the-door hold on friggin' tight!!:yes: :yes: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I mis read the title-I thought you caught an 80 lber.:eek: Would that be a monster or what.:yes: Still 80 lbs total is a hell of a day.Love that scale set up-very cool way to get a true weight but not hurt the fish. :thumbup: Skip

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey 'sail...yea, I had to be sure to add the "of" to the title pre-coffee this AM. I wonder how many others misread that too:D

The weigh mat for me is primarily to aid in handling/controlling the fish...lay fish, lift by handles, hang on scale hook, carry back to the water like a briefcase and let slip 'er back in the drink. No flopping around slipping outta my arms getting slimed etc. Whether I keep the fish or release the fish I try to make it as easy and carefree as possible.

Thanks 'boost...thats my portable weigh station;-)
Scale hangs on a screw-apart adjustable portable tripod...new piece of 'kit' for me this year. Tripod consists of 3 metal adjustable legs; solid as a friggin rock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Let me know when you are back at Port Deposit fishing for carp. I would like to see your rod set-up and baits. I caught 3 carp on Friday above deer creak on ultra light rod, 4 lb line, while fishing for shad using jig with plastic. They are a blast on light tackle especially.
Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts