Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have or use the small portable defogger that plugs into the 12V cig lighter on the boat? I'm thinking of buying a couple for those mornings when the windshield is frosted over. It's supposed to put out about 340 BTU.
I found one in the Boater's world catalog for about $30.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
i have one in my old hot rod truck that swivels and tilts from jc whitney- not too fond of the marine ones but same price - it blows UP & OUT - it works great in the boat since the hot rod sets most of the winter -

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've always had luck with a rotating fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter. You can pick one up at WalMart for about 8 bucks.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
I use a small 200 watt model.Just be sure that you check the wiring for heat at the cig.ltr. connections after a few minutes.Good luck.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David -- Glad you mentioned this --- It;s one of my concerns. I know the circuit will handle the load for a short time. Ligher/accessory plugs are made to be used for relatively short times or low amp draws. 8-10 amps isn't a lot, but over time, 15 minutes or so, it might not be good

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
I added 2 additional sockets and used 14 guage wire which would overheat after only 5 minutes as I smelled something cooking(Insulation was rubbery and Hot). Fixed problem by resizing wires to # 10 and all is well but as you said only for 5-10 before cooling circuitry wiring.The model I have says to Be SURE that the cig plug is rated for 20 amps.Be safe and good luck.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chumgunner --- That must have been your boat we followed out the other day --- Even the BIRDS LEFT ^_^
My guys hate the dreaded Breakfast Burittos ****
David -- Hope you have an In-line fuse on the setup you added!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts