Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i havent searched too hard yet but what type of portable heaters are best to use on a small walkaround ?
I have 9V cigarette plugs but not sure if they will cut it or if i need some type of propane/gas heater ...

thanks in advance

Barry

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Mr.Buddy and Coleman make small Propane heaters that work real well.As for your "Cigarette Plug',That should be 12 volts.ANY electric heater ,A/C or D/C draws ALOT of electricity.You would have to have a good size breaker on your Boat to handle the load of an Electric heater also. [Mike]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you use a gas heater keep it away from any gasoline vapors at all costs. Would like to keep everyone around. I might need a fishing report if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Go with propane....any 12 volt heater is going to require that you beef up the wiring on that circuit.....heaters draw a LOT of amps.
Can also create a battery drain situation, where the charge is being drawn down faster than the motor can replenish, especially at trolling speeds.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ditto B-Faithfull, 3rd season on mine and still works like a champ! Its always sunny and 72 in my Trophy. You may want to try Northern Tools on line. They are having a special on them right now. The "Buddy Heaters" also have a low oxygen sensor for safety sake!
Capt Wayne
"Miss Madeline II"

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Buddy heater all the way :thumbup:. It will run about 6 hrs on low setting and has an auto shut off if bumped/knocked over.It does a good job keeping the enclosure area warm.On high setting- a bottle will last about 2-3 hours.I carry 4 bottles on the boat but often only use 1 or 1 1/2 in a day.

Be careful where you place it - you want some clearance around it.Use your hand now/then to feel how hot the boat is around and above it.A five gallon bucket too close will get soft :eek2:.

Common sense - be sure to have 1-2 fire extinguishers close by, just in case.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just boat a portable heater at west marine and a inverter to the cig outlet. Tried it the other day worked great 5000btu. Made for boats and on sale for 57.00 so was the inverter.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nothing that hot on my boat, just the curtains. When bad things happen they are usually worse with a source of heat. I also don,t go for the charcoal grills that clamp to bow rails for cooking.Dress in layers and take off as needed!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
I also have a Mr. Buddy and it heats nicely. But I am always concerned that the unit will slide as I hit a wave. For those of you that have a Mr. Buddy, how do you secure the unit?

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I havent used it in my Judge yet but I had and area in the maycraft where it just stayed well by the port side seat. I have it more for my son who was 7 last year. However, one way to keep it from sliding is to get one fo those foam rubber place mats and put under it. Behind the unit and under it doesnt see much heat at all as heat rises from the element. I dont think you would have a problem with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a M.r. Buddy and love it. I mounted it on a board with drawer liner glued on the bottom to keep it from sliding. A perfect setup.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I had a Mr. Buddy, but it gave up the ghost in the second year. I bought a Coleman Black Cat and it works great...much simpler and doesn't tip over in the chop at the CBBT. The Mr. Buddy had a tip-over sensor that was way too sensitive for the CBBT and it kept going out. Had to relight all the time.

Coleman - BlackCat Perfectemp Catalytic Heater -

Dave

aka

·
Registered
312 Posts
well there are portable heaters made for truckers you should be able to find one at a truck stop or somewhere online, made for 12 volt, already attached to cig plug and you wont have to worry about it sparking and catching something on fire

1 - 20 of 21 Posts