Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the politicians and other high paid officials in Maryland have gone off the deep end... they want to more than double many tolls effective October 2011 with more phased increases thru 2013.. I can't believe the timing have they seen the amount of people that are just making ends meet.. Totally crazy.. So if I want to take my boat to thru the tunnel cost will go from $6 each way to possibly $12 each way.. CRAZY... If the state is so broke how about they start by taking a paycut and giving back some of the perks they get for being in office....:nono:http://www.wbaltv.com/money/27882759/detail.html

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Bay Bridge to $8.00 in 2013, who has received that percentage of a raise recently..... Pay raises have not even been a consideration in the past four years for me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The reality is to the State, is even if 20% less cars travel the roads with tolls, they would still net a 30% increase in toll revenue. Just like gas, people still roll up to the pump and travel is only altered somewhat. I have a buddy who sells gas and told me that gas consumption is up, not down as the prices have increased. We are a society on the move, travel is in our blood, and the State recognizes that even doubling the tolls will just bring a bunch of nasty letters and compliants, while they increase the revenue.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thats why i started traveling early and going through the city and saving on the toll from the Key Bridge and the tunnell whe I am towing double axel trailer it adds about 12 to 15min total but saves 9.oo dollars each way total of 18.00 dollars trip. Wow just think it could be 36 total glad I have been going through the city last trip saw a rat I am use to seeing deer past the key bridge sure is different.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
What do you expect from the peoples democratic republic of Maryland? There is no credible opposition party ( thanks to Balt. City, PG & Mont. counties) so they don't listen to the rest of the taxpaying population. They didn't address the deficit this session, but you just wait for the special session. Lost's of rules don't apply. These tolls will be small potatoes. But, ain't it great that they passed the dream act??

I remember hearing that the existing tolls have paid for BOTH Bay Bridges 7 times!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
:clapping2:Another cuple of years Maryland will be as expensive as New York and Jersey. No state income tax in Floriduh and you can forget your underwear and enoy the cool ocean breeze blowing through your shorts, also ties are forbidden.

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Local news reported the increase is going to pay off bonds - not for fixing the bridges / approach roads.

If I remember right - the transportation fund was raided for other expenses.

Strange how south of Md - there are almost no tolls.

Wino - Fla. is sounding better every day. There are Dunkin' Donut stores there , right ?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Putting up that bridge was a huge mistake in the first place.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts

Yep. West Palm Beach was just listed number nine as one of the most miserable places to live in the US. Unemployment at 12 % and property values down 38%. In addition over 50% of the houses in Fla. are under water. However on the plus side if you don't have to work to survive you can get some excellent homes down there for a song. No income tax is not as big a deal as many may think. I know where I lived in Fla. the proerty taxes took away any benefit of no income tax. A house half the value of my house in Annapolis paid twice the amount of tax that I paid up here. In addition the water and sewer rates were much higher then Anne Arundel County. I lived in Ponte Vedra Beah, Fle. There is no free ride anywhere. In addition fishing down there from May to Oct. can be unbearable heat wise. And anymore they are constantly changing the fishing regulations. Closing seasons on certain species and just generally reducing the numbers of fish you can keep overall. They even put a creel limit on Vermillion snapper (beeliners) which is the bread and butter fish of the headboat business in the northeast area of Fla. And there are alot of meat fishermen in Fla. And Fla. has Palmettoi bugs (roaches everywhere else).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
call your govener's office ask for the great wisord of maryland ooooomalley. and thank him. movin to south carolina. i hate this stinkin curupt state .

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Tolls are a much fairer method of raising funds than taxes. You pay for a service (or convenience) that you receive. Of course, living over here on the Eastern Shore, I only have to pay tolls when I want to come back from the "other side", and I try to avoid being there whenever possible..

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Isn't raising toll fees unfairly putting the burden on a certain segment of the MD population?
You mean the ones that use the toll facilities? I suppose we could close the bridges, highways, etc. but that might be even more burden. Or we could just tax everyone, even the ones that don't use the facilities. I suppose that would be less of a burden on the facility users. To paraphrase Marx (not Groucho, Chico, or Harpo) "From each according to his ability (or not), to each according to his need." Hmmm, do we really want that?

You gotta pay to play, and that doesn't just apply to the lottery.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Having donned my new "Captain Conservative" tights and cape, I propose that all infrastructure supported by tolls be auctioned off to the highest bidder, to be operated in a free market atmosphere. The private owner will set tolls based on expenses for upkeep and a moderate profit margin. I further propose that these operators be free of any govt. oversight, as the market will demand that the facilities be maintained in a fashion that will allow an uninterrupted flow of revenue to the operator. It does the operator no good to allow the facility to deteriorate to a point where it no longer generates revenue, so that guarantees the operator will maintain said facilities in a top shelf manner. I suggest that anyone interested in this venture obtain the annual operating cost numbers from the current owners(the State), and add on an appropriate level of revenue to build up a fund to pay for major renovations and repairs that will surely pop up in the future. I bet we can get the tolls back down to something reasonable, say on the order of 25 to 50 cents per use. The other advantage of a private, profit driven operator will be a lack of lane closures for maintenance, as reducing the hourly traffic count will have a detrimental effect on revenue. New methods of maintenance and repair, driven by the need to maintain a certain traffic count for profitability will be developed that are non-invasive and will have no effect on traffic count. It's so simple, a caveman could do it.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
If you live in the State of MD you will give blood. What does it matter where they take it from???? The people who work MUST support the people who don't..........Gary

·
Registered
720 Posts
You mean the ones that use the toll facilities? I suppose we could close the bridges, highways, etc. but that might be even more burden. Or we could just tax everyone, even the ones that don't use the facilities. I suppose that would be less of a burden on the facility users. To paraphrase Marx (not Groucho, Chico, or Harpo) "From each according to his ability (or not), to each according to his need." Hmmm, do we really want that?

You gotta pay to play, and that doesn't just apply to the lottery.
We already do pay to play with a very high gas tax that is never left in the Transportation Fund. We also pay high property taxes, tansfer taxes and just gave a 20% sales tax hike. How much do you have to pay to play? The politicians in Annapolis and DC only want to pander to their voter. This is done through spending and not costs cutting. I will get off my soap box, back to the usual troller versus LTJ jabbing.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, maybe we need to privatize the roads as well. Those roads within a neighborhood will be owned by the HOA. There is already precedent for this. State roads will also be auctioned to the highest bidder, who can either institute tolls at various locales, or lease you a GPS transponder that records the miles you drive, and your per mile billing will be derived from that. Get the govt. out of the infrastructure business, surely the private sector will be more efficient at administering it. Snow removal too. Your fee per mile driven will fund all road and snow removal maintenance. Privatize the MVA as well. The market rules! Who's with me?
Pat in Joppa

1 - 20 of 34 Posts