Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, this October has been enough to test my angling patience. :52: After a 10:00am report of a 22" and 20" taken at the docks at "The Downs" jigging Gray walmart plastic shads between the docks from a bass boat using a trolling motor, I took my boys out yesterday and fished hard for 4 hours. I took Greg's idea and hit docks between West Severna park to Cobb's creek with nothing to show for the effort. then we trolled back up the river along ledges and holes admiring all the bait balls and big fish on the screen.
The only decent fish I caught were early October when we kept saying "Just wait for the water to cool down". Do I need to wait for January?
After this tourny, Do you think I can get a cheat sheet from you boys that grew up on this river? :helpsmilie: If I was able to come to the next meeting, I would start trading beers for info. I'm still waiting on the UPS man to drop off my new turd lure:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Hang in there Burt!

It has been an odd year! First, the water temps were warmer later than usual then they dropped off really quickly. The tides have been all over the place as well which doesn't help. First, they were really high for a stretch and now they have been really low? Hopefully we will have some consistancy in the wind, tide, and weather and the birds will start working hard and some decent schools will be moving up into the river again soon.

Mark

·
Registered
859 Posts
We all feel your pain as I don't think you are alone....I have been collecting some serious data the past few years and have been absolutely racking my brain trying to figure these fish out.....each of the last three years the same pattern has evolved and it has resulted in some tough fishing once the weather cools down.....I won't bore you with my most likely useless exhaustive data, but each of those afore mentioned years the first few weeks of October has seen the bite on fire in the shallow reaches of the river, shorelines or structure down to say 8-12ft.....each of the past two years Indian Summer has been very strong with early October temps in the mid-70's with mild evenings, and little rain....both years there was a resurgence of bait in the river, clouds of alewife's it seemed like (both years were bad SAV years in the places I was looking, not sure how this affects things but some of my spots are only good when there is good SAV (Priest Farms!!)).....both years the few days leading up to the first MAJOR cold front (temps dropping into the 50's/60's during the day, 40's at night, cold NW wind), October 14th this year and the 22nd last year, the "big" fish of the month were caught....once that first event happened and the prolonged cooler-fall-like weather persists the bait moved out of the shallows and so did the rock....now that isn't to say some nice fish still weren't caught, I caught a nice upper-20" fish last year when it was howling out, Larry caught his personal best after the October tourney had ended last year, and Ralph and Skip did nicely live-lining during this years one day tourney when it was less than nice outside.....

But my thing is this, once the fish leave the shallow water confines, they should move eventually to the deeper water in the channel as they move out...in 2004 or 2005 the fish schooled up and moved out of the river en mass, and they were there for everyones taking.....for a few week period if you trolled from Round Bay to DTR you could find nice schools of fish.....I used to see people trolling up and down the channel all the time, not any more....I have been able to see the bait in the deeper water yet with no real concentrations of fish nearby.....so I have not been able to "dial" in any sort of consistent tactic to chase, much less catch these fish once they move deep....

So again at least this guy feels your pain....:eek2:

Any other thoughts out there????

Clancy

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
May be that there is TOO much bait in the water right now. Not finding much in the shallows on Friday, I trolled the deeper water from DTR to above the Rt 50 bridge yesterday. Meter was constantly lit up with bait balls, small fish, big fish, etc, etc. I swichted out different size & type of lures, changed my depth and speed several times and came away empty. The fish are there - they just didn't want anything I dragged in front of them. My only thought is that they had already stuffed themselves with the plentiful baitfish in the river. Water seemed perfect - around 54* and the top 6' was clear (I could see my lures that deep :))). So, guess what I'm saying is that I haven't been able to consistently figure them out either - darn fruntrating it is!! (But the fall colors are nice to look at while slow trolling up the river - so it was still a nice day :D)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Burt, if anyone would have been catching anything over this time period, they would have posted it. We braggarts can't help it. So don't feel like you're the only one out there that hasn't done anything. :yes:

Went perchin' the last time out just to remember what a fish on the end of the line felt like.

Way too cold way too fast, in terms of water temp is my one belief, among many of the others stated here. I agree with them all because, after all, I know that we're all great fishermen and, in no way, could have been shut down because of our own fishing prowess. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is good to see that I'm not the only one in this boat. In conversations in our neighborhood here in West Severna Park, the common thought is the same as Mark's, the fish just seem to be fat dumb and happy with the bait that's all over the place in the river.
Clancy - Thanks for the historical input. I guess I got spoiled last year when the fall bite just made it look easy.
I'm switching to Greg's game plan - Perch and Pickerel. I just need something on the other end of the line.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Any other thoughts out there????
Yep, #1 you didn't fish enough with me to win this thing, gotta have a good net man. #2 your gay:D:D Ahh I'm just f-in with ya. I agree with 95% of you assertation of the situation though I can't say if there's fish out there right now cause I ain't been out in the last couple of weeks. You and I found fish in the shallows that friday and tourney day we found plenty of fish in the shallows, SO as I said I can't comment on this year as of now but the past years, as a data collection assistant I can confirm your theory. NOW does anyone wanna take me fishing Tuesday night? I got all night.

-Evs

·
Registered
424 Posts
I haven't fished since my last post, but the second half of the month--in fact, every day since I caught my two biggest fish--has been tough for me. If it helps, I promise I'll bring my Floater Lure to the meeting so you can get a closer look at that little, brown magic maker.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I went out today and threw the whole garage full of equipment and lures at them. I have some small light weight trolling umbrellas that are money on rockfish. I used my down riggers to get them on the bottom and trolled from Cedar point to the Rt 50 bridge. Trolled the middle of the channel all the way up, then trolled some of the edges on the way back. Tossed some BA on the many marks in the river. Put a bucktail with a drop sinker and bounced the bottom at one location where my fishfinder was thick with fish on the bottom. Nothing..not one pull down.
'
Greg and I were talking at a soccer game on Saturday and I surmised that because of all the bait fish and blues in the river this year, the rock never really came into the river like years past. Greg mentioned the sudden cold weather which probably had a factor as well.

Sure did like catching rock in the river this time in years past...short runs, less gas and fishing without crowds. I am going to assume that the fish aren't going to be here this year as most will be migrating south here shortly.

Sounds like the bay has some nice fish in it right now however. Dang...sure is cold running 30-35mph in a CC whaler out to the bay right now.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I went out for a little while yesterday morning and got a big bag of skunk as well!!! Tough fishing in the river right now!!!

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I noticed today that the clarity in the river is as good as I've seen it in quite awhile.
When I can look down and see my prop spinning under water while on the troll, that's a good thing. :))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts