Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not regular on this particular board, so don't take my head off if this Q sounds stupid. But does anyone know of any evidence of blue cats frequenting and being caught in the Potomac?

I know they are not native tot he river, but have often wondered if they have snuck in of their own accord, or if they ar here thanks to some wayward stocking effort (either official or unofficial). Maybe the DNRs might see them as a natural weapon against the snakehead. [grin]

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yea, around Haines Point in general; we got them around mid river structure adjacent to the Blue Plains STP to be more specific; also down to Ft. Washington. Cut bait works, sometimes minnows, sometimes shrimp. Those flatheads shocked in the upper reaches turned some heads...likely angler-transplants...and they were big uns.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. One wonders if we will end up down the road with a banner fishery for blues and flatheads up this way. All the fuss on the snakehead but not much on a couple of critters that put that fish to shame in the mass consumption department. My guess is that the Potomac ecosystem will adjust better to these entrants (snakehead included) than all the naysayers are predicting.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I believe the Potomac will be the next big blue cat river in Virginia. The fish are up there but very few people are targeting(or know how to target) the bigger fish. Most people are fishing for the channels or the smaller blues. How many states can boast such a wide variety of different bodies of water to catch a catfish over 20 lbs? Potomac, James, Crappahanock, Chick, Appomatox, Matta, Pamnunkey, Gaston, Buggs, Smith Mountain, Claytor, Dan, and Staunton off the top of my head.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yea, there pleanty of blues in the potomac. We caught tons of smaller under 10 lb blues and a good number of 20 to 35 lbs. We usally fish from aquia to ft washington. 20 years ago you would catch 1 blue to 100 channels now they are 80 out of 100. One thing about the potomac is you can check in for a MD state record, which for blue cats is like 54 lbs caught last year. I belive in the next couple years they will break that many times. Pretty reliable source told me of a 64 lbs blue caught and release about 2 weeks ago near the WW bridge. They didn't even think about the MD state record.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A couple years ago I saw a cat in the secondary channel at ww bridge that trails into the spoils looked to be about 5ft long, it was head first in the grass trying to shake something out. Threw a 3in. fly to it and it was like tossing a crumb to a bear.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Come and get them because the Potomac in DC and south is loaded with blue catfish. You can single out the channels by using larger baits and a blue will inhale just about anything. When striper fishing this May we couldn't get away from 20-44 pound blue cats. Everywhere we went we would catch at least a couple 20+ pound fish.

I'm not sure about there habits and preferred water temp but I know the river was crawling with them when the herring were in strong.

One year we were fishing up by Chain Bridge with light tackle trying to jig up some schoolie stripers. I don't know if it was the water temp, level or color but some big blue cats were annihilating artificial, 1oz jig heads and 5 inch bass assassins to be exact. I fought three fish for 5 minutes and finally landed the last one, approx. 15 pounds. Never been able to duplicate that again but they can be so think up there in the spring that you end up snagging them constantly and basically have to break it off before you get spooled.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep they're here. The blues are just like the James. Slamming rod tips in the water no matter if its 35 or 90 degree water temps. Catching bait in DC is tough because cast nets are prohibited!!! Dc water is from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (Route 95) up above the Chain Bridge (Route 123). Getting a DC license is also a chore. JJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a guide at belle haven that sells dc licenses. Reason being that clients don't have them and that cancels out the spoils, blue plains etc. I'll stop in and get his number and post if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For catfishing there are pleanty of big cats below the WW bridge for 30 miles and either a MD or Va permit are valid. Not many launch ramps near DC either not to mention the traffic nightmares in that area. I run out of the woodbridge area and thats pretty much smack in the middle of all the good catfishing water. Bait should be easy on the mouth of creek flats. We caught our biggest cats on 1/4 to 1/2 cut hard crab. If crab is real hard just smash it up a little. You can usally get all the dead crabs you want at the crab houses but be warrend a dead crab starts stinking about 1 minute after it dies and about 5 minutes its unbarable and every fly with 5 mile will be on it way to your boat. I use live ones most the time if my crab guy is around and found they hit the fresh cut crab better then the If not its fresh shad.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
They love soft crabs and peelers also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know some great bait spots throughout the Chain Bridge area to the Key Bridge. Gizzard Shad/White Perch,etc. We've been fishing big baits and getting into some quality blue cats for years. I was hoping it would stay a secret but its starting to get out how good the Potomac is becoming. The shad coming out of this river are HUGE, way bigger than the James. Cut bait never fails but always keep something live on a clicker (it always produces).

I've witnessed a 50lber and i've heard of a 60. This place is legit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know some great bait spots throughout the Chain Bridge area to the Key Bridge. Gizzard Shad/White Perch,etc. We've been fishing big baits and getting into some quality blue cats for years. I was hoping it would stay a secret but its starting to get out how good the Potomac is becoming. The shad coming out of this river are HUGE, way bigger than the James. Cut bait never fails but always keep something live on a clicker (it always produces).

I've witnessed a 50lber and i've heard of a 60. This place is legit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Above Key Bridge in the winter is fantastic. Except I lose more rigs by 3 Sisters than any other place on the river. My best Potomac blue is 42 and that where she came from. The water temp was 37 that day. Today my buds and I went out and slayed blues from 8am til 12. Six over 20 and four over 30. Not bad for a Sat. with boat traffic out the wazoo. John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts