Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an actual fishing report, the first fishing trip of the year for me in 2016.

This evening I paddled a whitewater kayak at Great Falls VA and I brought some fishing gear. Because of the perfect water level it was more of a paddling trip than a fishing trip. At the current river level the area below Great Falls has outstanding whitewater including some really nice standing waves that are 5-6 ft tall.

I put a rod and a few lures in the boat; to fish from a whitewater boat I pull the yak out of the water and fish from shore in strategic locations. I fished when I first launched near the VA observation decks in some good spots that sometimes have walleye and smallmouth in April.

I had no action at that spot, but it was bright sunlight--I fished crankbaits and was mostly targeting pre-spawn smallmouth (too bright w clear water for walleye).

And I am a really crummy fisherman!!! I just get lucky sometimes and blunder into fish once in a while.

Later on after I paddled downriver I saw some nice walleye caught by some anglers on the VA shore including one fish around 24 inches, in the 4 lb class--all were very nice healthy fish. They were caught when the shade was on the river as the sun dropped toward the horizon. In clear water conditions walleye in the Great Falls area feed mostly in low light conditions.

I got carried away surfing the nice waves until I was so tired I could barely carry my boat up out of the gorge; I did not fish in lower light conditions so I got skunked. But it was really cool to see some fish caught and to meet some good fishermen.

The Potomac is really heating up at Fletchers and upriver to Great Falls beyond, with no flooding in sight, it is shaping up to be a really good spring!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yup, my good bud went there 2 weekends ago and caught 2 nice walleye. Both on black mister twisters with jig heads. On the MD side at great falls.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
This is an actual fishing report, the first fishing trip of the year for me in 2016.

This evening I paddled a whitewater kayak at Great Falls VA and I brought some fishing gear. Because of the perfect water level it was more of a paddling trip than a fishing trip. At the current river level the area below Great Falls has outstanding whitewater including some really nice standing waves that are 5-6 ft tall.

I put a rod and a few lures in the boat; to fish from a whitewater boat I pull the yak out of the water and fish from shore in strategic locations. I fished when I first launched near the VA observation decks in some good spots that sometimes have walleye and smallmouth in April.

I had no action at that spot, but it was bright sunlight--I fished crankbaits and was mostly targeting pre-spawn smallmouth (too bright w clear water for walleye).

And I am a really crummy fisherman!!! I just get lucky sometimes and blunder into fish once in a while.

Later on after I paddled downriver I saw some nice walleye caught by some anglers on the VA shore including one fish around 24 inches, in the 4 lb class--all were very nice healthy fish. They were caught when the shade was on the river as the sun dropped toward the horizon. In clear water conditions walleye in the Great Falls area feed mostly in low light conditions.

I got carried away surfing the nice waves until I was so tired I could barely carry my boat up out of the gorge; I did not fish in lower light conditions so I got skunked. But it was really cool to see some fish caught and to meet some good fishermen.

The Potomac is really heating up at Fletchers and upriver to Great Falls beyond, with no flooding in sight, it is shaping up to be a really good spring!
You don't have to catch fish to have a great trip and it sounds like you did. Bet you slept well!....... Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts