Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:fishing2: Went out of Pohick Bay Regional Park Saturday night (last minute thing). Took about an hour and a half to catch enough shad. No wind, no one else on the water - beautiful night. I did a lot of riding just to get to know the river a little since I have only fished from there to Mattawoman Creek before. This time I went upriver almost to the Wilson Bridge. Caught several in the 10 - 17 pound range before I went back down to a spot I stopped at before. After I put my last rod out and turned around to turn off the light, one rod started to scream. After a couple minutes I finally got him in the boat and weighed him - 28.6 pounds. Not a giant, true, but I was by myself, trying to video and net the fish in the dark! And I had a good time on the water - my first time out in 6 weeks!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
fishing

That fishing by yourself deal sucks in a way and is good in another way. You're not tripping over your buddy and his gear when you're by yourself and it's quite and relaxing. On the other hand it's fun to shoot the BS and when netting a fish it's nice too. I'm getting ready to go this afternoon and maybe stay all night, just depends on conditions. I may have to stay til daylight to keep from falling asleep on my hr. drive home. That's another thing a fishing partner is good for, keeping you awake. I'm kinda like you, I have'nt been in a good while and I'm chomping at the bit to go and my buddies are working. By the way a 28 lber is a good catch, they can slam it as hard as a 50 or better and sometimes fight harder.

moe

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Nice report. I know that area of the river well and have caught a lot of really nice catfish from there. But only when I can get bait and that is usually from much further up river.

Do you care to share how you caught those shad or where? There always seems to be plenty up in DC and there's great blue catfish fishing there too but maybe not quite as good as further down.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Fishing in the dark in a hurricane alone

PS. I went and caught a 40 lber at 8:00pm then weathered the wind and rain all night had one more slam down but he hit short and didn't get the hook. I thought I had a state record with the 40 he fought hard and felt heavy. That netting in the dark is a real bear. Foregot my camera, sorry no pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.