Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awile since I've posted, I used to post under the name "bottomfish." These last three weekends, I've been going catfishing in the potomac. First weekend, fished the area just upstream of gravelly point by the bridges and caught 10 catfish, 3 of which were blues (no size to them though). Last weekend, I fished the channel edge on the DC side just downstream of national airport and caught over 50 catfish, biggest was a 12 pound blue. This past weekend, after puttering around the wilson bridge with no success, I found this very specific spot that was really producing for me. Lets say your coming through the channel part of the bridge from the south. There's a red can on your left and after that red can, there's a piling for the new span they're building. If you anchor as close to that piling as possible and fish that dropoff, you will catch just about as many catfish as you want. Also, I was catching lots of juvi stripers. All fish were caught on chicken liver. If anyone knows a ramp that's open at night, plmk because I am trying to go night catfishing and hook into some of the bigger blues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For big cats in the potomac you need a big bait to keep all the little ones off. I would use large chunks of fresh shad as bait of choice. I dont know about big fish above the WWB but below there are some hogs. I usally fish about 15 to 20 miles down river from there. I fish close to deep water, sometimes deep and sometimes shallow, you never know but have caught way more deep then shallow. Deep can be anywhere from 30 to 60'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts