Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing less than 14" yesterday afternoon, fishing main river docks near Wash DC.

My 6 rod "spread" was invaded several times by 12"-16" stripers that were in 4'-6' of water.

Fishing alone, very peaceful, I still love the sight & thrill of a bobber going down...

BTW - The catfish trotliners are tearing them up now too. Great time to go catfishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
That is some good eats right there Dennis. Got plenty catfish this year but would love some of them slabs. Very peaceful fishing solo..........especially for a guide!! Hope to see you soon............Gary

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
That's a pretty impressive catch. 10-12 in. up here in a few of the crappie rivers has been it .Very few 13-14 in . crappie.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Potomac is home of the whales - don't know why.

I crappie fished for decades and could not believe my eyes when I was first introduced to them by Capt. Mike Starrett 10+ years ago in his modified version of spider rigging. I have since further modified Mike's technique to best suit me (and the crappies!) and I am always in search of new crappie holes. It isn't a turkey shoot. Some days they laugh at you.

Where these things go in the summer is a mystery, moderatly cold water is the key.

The other key is NOT killing them all. 10 fish limit per person on my boat...all my fish were released the other night.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
I rarely fish for crappie with bait. I fish with lures. Not your conventional crappie lures. I seldom catch any under 9in.I don't catch a lot but usually catch catfish,yellow perch,bass and chain pike in the mix. I kept 1 12incher this week for lunch. If you have any openings on a walk on trip this fall,let me know. I'd like to try my favorite shallow water, multi species lure on the Potomac.It works best at 2-4ft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts