Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REGULATION 4 VAC 20-25-10 ET SEQ., PERTAINING TO POUND NET SITING PUBLIC INTEREST REVIEW" requires that there be an opportunity for public comment on new pound net locations that are requested for licensing by commercial fishermen. The following notices are posted by date; the comment period for each specific notice ends approximately 30 days from the date posted on this web site. Please check with The Fisheries Division at (757) 247-2248 to determine when a specific comment period ends. Send comments/inquiries within 30 days to: Marine Resources Commission, Fisheries Management Division, 2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor, Newport News, Virginia 23607.

March 15, 2007:
Notice is hereby given that John E. Beckwith of Painter, Virginia has applied to the Marine Resources Commission to license and locate a pound net in Chesapeake Bay in Accomac County, approximately 600 yards from the shoreline, between Thicket Point and Matchotank Creek, at Latitude 37.70665° and Longitude 75.83836°.

Send comments/inquiries within 30 days to: Marine Resources Commission, Fisheries Management Division, 2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor, Newport News, Virginia 23607

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just my two cents worth my son and I have been fishing thicket point area for the past five years. This is a nice location for my son and I to walk to and fish. There not many locations on the easternshore that you can walk to and catch speckle trout, puppy drum, and rock. Maybe you can find a different spot to place your pound nets.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a concern regarding this net you should send it to VMRC. I only posted this as a "public notice" in one more location. This information was available on the VMRC web page and in the local paper.

One consideration that you may want to think about is that this net is going to start 600 yards from the shore. I don't know what that means in that local area either.

Oh and you can also send your comments to:

Jack Travelstead at:

[email protected]

Tom

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Great, something else to watch for when Im running out there after dark. I wonder why this person has targeted this area? Murph is right there are not too many places a shore bound angler can fish that are as good an area as Thicket point. I have never fished around there from shore but have by boat and its a good area. Hope the pound net doesnt hose it up in there..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have already sent off comments to the VMCR regarding this matter. Hey Larry if their talking about 600 yds from the shore line that maybe like parkers and Scrarbroughs Islands. Thats a big area if that 600 yds. I know in the spring time there alot of boats that fish that area at night. Safety issue while boating!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah Bill thats the way I figured it. Probably in the thorofare behind Parkers & Scarboros. I really hope its BEHIND those islands & not out front of them or someone will run into it at night.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Billy/Larry,

It just doesn't make any sense of a pound net inward of Parker's and Scarborough as far as being productive as compared to being on the outside...not to mention the safety aspect of it. If you think about the nets south and on the western shore they are all in open water. I'm not thrilled that's for sure. It shouldn't be to hard to find out the exact location from VMRC.

Pat

·
Registered
970 Posts
Those aren't my stomping grounds per say, but it still doesn't sound like a good idea if its going to prove a hazard to navigation. If its in that bad a spot, let me know, I've got a lot of VA residents in my contact list at work.

Lance

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I went on line to:

http://map.marineplanner.com/mappin...&typ=LL&txt=37.70665, -75.83836&lchart=12280A

Which is not the best of charts. It shows it on the north west point of Matchotank Creek. My paper chart has it something like 100 to 200 yards north of the NW point on that creek at the shoreline. It shows it on land not 600 yards (1/3 of a mile) off shore. If they were to start it 600 yards off shore and runs out another 1500 feet or so due west it would probably end due north of the northern most end of Parkers Island. But that is just what I can figure with my paper charts.

See if this works

I also do not know how this proposed net fits into the intent or letter of the following.

4 VAC 20-480-20. Prohibition.
During the period June 1 to October 31, inclusive, it shall be unlawful for any person to place, set or fish any gill net, including licensed fixed fishing devices, in the management areas defined below.

A. The Gulf. Beginning at mean low water at the northernmost point of Smith Beach Road (State Route 666); thence in a southwesterly direction along the mean low water line, for approximately one mile, to a point opposite where State Route 666 turns inland; thence due west 500 yards to a point offshore; thence in a northeasterly direction to a point being 500 yards west of mean low water at the end of State Route 630; thence in an easterly direction 500 yards to the mean low water line at the end of State Route 630; thence in a southerly direction across the mouth of the Gulf to the mean low water line at the northernmost point of Smith Beach Road (State Route 666), being the point of beginning.

B. Hungars Creek. Beginning at mean low water at the northernmost point of Hungars Beach; thence in a southerly direction along the mean low water line to the end of State Route 630; thence in a westerly direction 500 yards to a point offshore; thence in a northeasterly direction to a point 500 yards west of mean low water at the southernmost point of Great Neck; thence in an easterly direction to mean low water at the southernmost point of Great Neck; thence in a southwesterly direction to mean low water at the northernmost point of Hungars Beach, being the point of beginning.
C. Nassawadox Creek. Beginning at mean low water at Shooting Point, in a westerly direction for 250 yards; thence in a northwesterly direction to a point 250 yards west of mean low water at Nassawadox Point; thence in an easterly direction to mean low water at Nassawadox Point; thence in a southeasterly direction to the northernmost point of Horse Island; thence in a southwesterly direction to mean low water at Shooting Point, being the point of beginning.

D. Occohannock Creek. Beginning at mean low water at Sparrow Point, in a westerly direction for 500 yards; thence in a northeasterly direction to a point 500 yards west of mean low water at Powell's Bluff; thence in an easterly direction to mean low water at Powell's Bluff; thence in a southeasterly direction to a point on the eastern headland of Killmon Cove (Old Neck); thence in a southwesterly direction to Sparrow Point, being the point of beginning.

Tom

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
net

sounds like to me this will block the channel of the thorofare . if it sticks out past parkers it will block that area too . this net will be pain to anyone that fishes the area .

Lance this net will be a pain & will block navigation in the area .

I normally do not run that way ,but have used it in the past . the boat I have now draws too much water to run in that area.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off I am not trying to encourage anyone to object or support this location. I am making the following statement based you what has been said here and based on my understanding of the process.

If there is a problem NOW is the time to say so and get the local fishing clubs, boating clubs, etc. involved. If/once the net is permitted it will be difficult to get it removed or changed.

This process was set up after the mess that happened a few years ago with a permitted pound net right off of a condo association beach at Windmill Point. They had lots of folks attending Commission meetings, etc. trying to get it moved, pretty much to no avail.

This is the Commission's means of making sure that placement of a net does not unduly interfere with individual's rights to make use of public waters.

Like I said earlier, I post these things just as another means of providing public notice. In most cases they more or less fall off of the bottom of the page within a few days.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just can see the VMRC can issue a pound net permit for that area. I'm going to speak with the local VMRC officers on Monday. Kevin there's only about 1 to 2 feet at low tide and I think about 4 to 5 on the high.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Guys you need to send some emails to Jack about this. I got a copy of the letters & emails sent and there are two..:helpsmilie:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts