Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of getting beat to death out on the bay when it's sloppy out. I've been avoiding catamaran boats but lately have been doing some research . Why do you all believe they're not more popular?

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Probably they are not popular because they don't bank in a turn like a deep vee. This makes them feel a bit strange at first. You have to go a bit slower in a turn. They turn more like a car because of the 2 sponsons and they're not fast because the CG won't allow to much power on them because of the way they turn.However, you can run them faster than the same size mono hull in rough seas because they won't pound you.You won't feel like your running 20 kts in 3 ftrs.The smoothest riding small rough water cat hull I've ridden in was the 22 ft. Glacier Bay w/ twin 90 hp. It has the deepest(tallest) sponsons for it's size. That's the reason for it's smoother ride.It is a big little boat that can handle big seas very well.They also have more room for a hull their size because of their square bows. I've only ridden in 21-25 ft. cat hulls. You would have no trouble taking these babies to the canyons . They're also very stable, like standing on a floating pier. Take a test drive on a Glacier Bay and see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Probably they are not popular because they don't bank in a turn like a deep vee. This makes them feel a bit strange at first. You have to go a bit slower in a turn. They turn more like a car because of the 2 sponsons and they're not fast because the CG won't allow to much power on them because of the way they turn.However, you can run them faster than the same size mono hull in rough seas because they won't pound you.You won't feel like your running 20 kts in 3 ftrs.The smoothest riding small rough water cat hull I've ridden in was the 22 ft. Glacier Bay w/ twin 90 hp. It has the deepest(tallest) sponsons for it's size. That's the reason for it's smoother ride.It is a big little boat that can handle big seas very well.They also have more room for a hull their size because of their square bows. I've only ridden in 21-25 ft. cat hulls. You would have no trouble taking these babies to the canyons . They're also very stable, like standing on a floating pier. Take a test drive on a Glacier Bay and see what I mean.
In my recent boat hunting, I talked to several people and one trusted friend. All said same as Capt. Nick.
I just could not find one I liked inside of 200 miles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I started looking a couple months back. Livingston boats looked pretty cool. Bare bones similar to a skiff but a cat hull still that ate up the rough stuff. The closest I found was in Morehead city NC. They have some video on YouTube as well. Good luck let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think GB quite making that 22 foot model.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own a 26 World Cat center console with twin 200 Yams. I have been on many mono hulls and have never had as comfortable a ride as on this Cat. It is heavy, very stable, takes a little getting used to in a hard turn. I'm of course biased - would suggest you take a test ride on the World Cat or Power Cat. I will never go back to a mono hull.
Plus - tons of storage everywhere you look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We love ours. Been 65-70 miles off shore with it. As far as I know it is still available Jim Wert has one that he would like to sell as they no longer use it because of wife getting sick. He is located in Belle Haven Va. 757-999-0270 you can contact him for information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SeaSwirl - there is a bunch of comparison conversation about Cats vs Mono hulls on the boat forum "the hull truth" - some good info and some strong opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Glacier Bay 22' and we love it. It rides the rough water very well and for a 22' boat that is very important. There are 2 things that are very different. The boat stays level on turns, which is not a problem, and you eventually get use to it. When you drift fish, the boat drifts sideways! Which I still have not adjusted to. If it is calm, there is no problem, but in even small waves the boat rocks back and forth and is uncomfortable. As soon as you throw out the anchor, it does fine. Difficult to drift for flounder on a windy day!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 26' cat and like it a lot. The handling is definitely different but something you get used to. I think it rides better than a v hull the same size.

If I were to buy a new boat, it would be a cat as well. Too bad the one I like is a little pricey for me.

I've read before people think they are "ugly" compared to a standard v hull. Maybe that's why they lack in popularity. They are very common in the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I have a Glacier Bay 22' and we love it. When you drift fish, the boat drifts sideways! Which I still have not adjusted to. If it is calm, there is no problem, but in even small waves the boat rocks back and forth and is uncomfortable. As soon as you throw out the anchor, it does fine. Difficult to drift for flounder on a windy day!!
A drift sock off the bow should do the trick instead of an anchor. They will slow you down in a fast drift too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you have a seaswirl 21 you will get a much better ride if you switch to something heavier and with more deadrise. I just went to a 24' Albemarle from a 23' pro line and the difference is amazing. The pro-line has a hull very similar to your seaswirl.

I would consider a similar size cat but there is more of a used market and more bang for the buck in this area for a monohull offshore boat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I echo cat praise. -routinely fished my Sea Cats 21 &23 out 20+ miles while living near Wrightsville Beach in the 90's. Sturdy & durable. Recently repowered and good for another 20 years (Iwish I were!). These were built by North American Fiberglas . Suggest your shopping include Brown's Marine in Deltaville.
Charles Jenkins

·
Registered
415 Posts
Once you go cat you'll never go back!
Take it from someone that runs one 3 to 5 days a week 50/60 miles off O.C.
The Worldcat is the best unless you pay 500K for a freeman with four 300's
Driven and been on several Worldcat has the best ride
If the front of the boat is not tall enough the center will hit while trolling in rough water and you will get the same
Feeling you get on a mono hull

1 - 18 of 18 Posts