Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I use a mono or florocarbon shock leader for tying onto grubs, jigs and casting lure,s when using braided line or should I tie the braid directly to the lure?
Also, if respooling for the local saltwaters, what's your opinion's, braid,mono or florocarban?

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
The onlytime i use a shockline is when i throw heavy lead from the surf, Other than that i don't use it. I am a huge fan of power pro and will not go back to mono for inshore fishing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I like Power Pro for most all my light stuff. I like the way it throws. Shock leaders I agree with Guz, throwing heavy stuff in the surf. Ive also used the Fusion Spiderline. Its ok and Ill still pick it up on sale but PP is my first choice. I tie direct in most all situations.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I use it and like it. Like BigJim said though it depends on what your fishing for when it comes to a leader.

Keep this in mind. If you are going to be leadering fish in you need some sort of leader if not there is a good chance that the Power Pro will slice your hand wide open.

Dennis:))

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
I don't think you meant an actual shock line, but you should fish woth some sort of mono tippet when using braided line of any sort. Especially if you are fishing for species that will become "line" shy as the season progresses and the pressure on species builds. Florocarbon is much more abrasion resistant to teeth, and rocks/rubble/debris, so it's worth it in the long run. If you are using spinning gear and casting, 18inches of mono works well and2-3ft with a conventional application for bottom fishing.

You can use braid for any application from offshore to the flats. Myself and crew have been using it regularly for years. Good luck:thumbup: :bigfish:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I love powerpro and would never fish without it in most cases. Sometimes I tie directly to the lure/jig, sometimes I dont. Usually if there is any chance of bluefish Ill put about 12" of flourocarbon or mono on. I usually use 10lb test on a medium action graphite rod, spinning tackle. On baitcasters it becomes a little more "sporting" with the nasty backlashes and wind knots if you arent careful. Its a great tool for deeper jigging, especially for flounder!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been using powerpro for years and love it. I tie direct unless Im livelining then I use a flourocarbon leader. You cant go wrong with powerpro

·
Registered
267 Posts
Love the PP and always tie a mono or FC leader with a line to line knot. Several different line to line knots I taught myself while sitting in my house have given me an edge on getting fish to eat and ease of use. I can tie them in low light and rolling seas. They wind on and don't mess up the rod tips like a swivle does.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did mean to say a tippet not a shock leader. I have used pp tied directly to bottom rigs and flounder rigs with good success and also tied directly to a hook for spade fish and to grubs and jigs for stripper and trout. Someone has recently told me that fish can see the line when tied directly to lures and that it is not that abraision resistant. They also said it works better on spining reels for casting as opposed to bait casting reels. I havent used it for casting very much on baitcasting equipment but I love the feel it gives me when bottom fishing. I am just wondering if it will help my chances if I used some sort of mono or floro tippett when casting lures. more opinions are appreciated and thanks for the ones allready given.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
A few years ago I asked the same question and got different answers. So when speckle trout fishing , I tied a mirrow lure directly to my power pro, the other rod I used a 2' shot of FC. I was using 6' graphite baitcasting rods w/ ABU 1200 and 1600 reels. The results were that I caught just as many speckles tied directly on to the pp as with the fc. So you can try this yourself and see what results you get. To me, it up to what you are confident with. Good luck and tight lines!

·
Registered
39 Posts
backing

Funny,
I just got back from WalMart where I picked up 3 packs of PP in 20lb and 30lb line to spool my reels for fishin on the Flats. My whole life I have used mono and probably my best luck with this has come from Sufix...love the stuff!
My buddy just came back from flounder fishing and said that he tried PP and had great success. Several questions that I ahve include: do you have to provide mono as backing on the spool and if so, how much and what kind of knott is best to uses to combine the 2 lines. Also, I have always heard that this line diggs groves into the eyes of the rod, but that was years ago and mostly with Spider wire....does this do the same thing. Thanks for any info ya'll can provide, would hate to spool 3 rods the wrong way at $12.50 a box.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The backing all depends on how much power pro you want to put on the reel. You can put a turn of electrical tape on the spool and then fill the whole thing with power pro if you want. Easiest way to figure ou the amount of backing is to take the manufacturers line rating, multiply that number of yards by the suggested line diamter. Take the power pro and multiply the yards by it's line diameter and then sunbtract it from your first number. This will give you a number for your backing. I like to use something similar in breaking strength to the power pro's, what ever you use just take it's diamter and divide it into your last number and this will give you the number of yards of backing you need. Anyway you go you want to end up with your reel spool filled up, not half way. For joining the backing and power pro I like a uni to uni knot. If there is a real large difference in line diameters you'll want to double up the power pro before making the knot in it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went on powerpro.com and there is some good info on how to spool your reel, how to choose what lb test to use and what knots to use. I researched the whoe website and it seems that even the power pro "pro's" cant even agree on whether a tippet makes a difference or not. Some of there pro's swear the fish dont bite without a tippet and some of ther pro's swear that they do. I guess it comes down to local knowledge and personal experinence. ANY 0PINIONS ON HOW IT CAST WITH BAITCASTING EQUIPMENT?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts